If I get a front splitter/lip Do I have to tell DVLA and/or Insurance?

Gimba

Spoke many times to my insurance about stuff like oem parts, from what iv been told by them if your replacing like for like you dont have to declare, if your retro fitting an optional extra you do have to declare, if your putting on a part from a different model/trim you do have to declare and the same goes for aftermarket parts.

If you do have to declare a modification keep in mind most insurers charge an admin fee of around £25.

Edited by Rich_482

if your retro fitting an optional extra you do have to declare, if your putting on a part from a different model/trim you do have to declare and the same goes for aftermarket parts.

how can they prove this, I wont be telling my insurance company that my car has a toms lip or oz chronos etc because they are a toyota part and could have been on the car from new

how can they prove this

simply put they cant , how can anyone know what the cars spec was when it was created ? even toyota wont know after all this time and its not possible or likely that anyone including the cops could find out as paperwork isnt held for long and then its in japanese anyway

I modded my old FTO and told Adrian Flux, no charge at all, but was informed by a copper that even fittin a sticker that isn't standard need to tell insurance co.

As said above if you have an accident they can refuse to pay out.

This being said if your planning on doing a few mods then get them all done then make the phone call.

Be careful, some insurance companies only allow a certain number of modifications (Admiral for instance)

Im with brentacre and they dont charge for changes. Told them about all the mods and all was fine :)

They charge an admin fee though dont they? So not 100% free :P Plus they'll make any increases on renewal no doubt :lol:

I had a very modified astra before my celica, I'm insured with flux and all cometic changes were free the car got written off a few months into my new policy and they asked for it to be check by a indpendant garage who listed most of the modificans, I'm not sure what would have happend if it was on the insurance?

I'm with Sky and I just call up and say "yeah I've done x and y to it this week" and they send me a mod form to check and send back (to confirm it's all correct) and that's that. No admin fees, no premium adjustments, nothing. Happy days!

My rule of thumb has (and always will be) if you are putting something on your car that wasn't on there when it rolled out of the factory, then tell the insurance company. They will do anything they can to prevent having to pay out for a claim, so don't give them a chance to do that and declare everything.

That way, if you are involved in a bash, you're totally covered. Sure, you may pay more for it now (depending on who you're with) but isn't an extra couple of quid now better than having to cover ALL costs as your insurance company won't pay out as you failed to declare changes to your car? Imagine that!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.