What would you go for

Without going off topic and just answer the OP.

Power.

I couldn't give a toss about lap times I will prob never do a trackday and don't fly aroudn corners/roundabouts on the road anyway

The answer of your average, talentless driver who just wants to impress his mates down the pub with a dynograph :rolleyes:

If you want a fast track car, sort the handling before the power so you can actually use more of the power. This is of course as Ricj rightly says, after you've learnt to drive properly.

If you want a fast drag car then you still need to sort the handling before the power otherwise you're just going to spin rubber and plough into the wall.

CONCLUSION:

Handling is more important. If power was, then the Americans would be world leaders in car technology, not the Germans/Japanese

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

watched a video recently and it featured a Mines skyline, with not much more power than a standard car, they had focused on engine responsiveness and said that was more important that the pursuit of power

in my world though handling is more important that power

Mines R34 has around 600bhp, a little more than a standard GTR ;)

Having done a few trackdays, Id say definately handling.

I can keep up with alot of cars on the straights and many on the bends but I can nowhere near match another GT4 thats running coilovers, rollcage etc. They corner almost flat whereas im wallowing round on near as dammit stock suspension :lol:

Mines R34 has around 600bhp, a little more than a standard GTR ;)

Having done a few trackdays, Id say definately handling.

I can keep up with alot of cars on the straights and many on the bends but I can nowhere near match another GT4 thats running coilovers, rollcage etc. They corner almost flat whereas im wallowing round on near as dammit stock suspension :lol:

lols got that a bit wrong, im sure it was still way quicker than similar powered cars on the show

for me it's always going to be handling over power first after a darn good service!

my reason for this is after a darn good service you have a decent level to start the power work from but considering the quality of the roads in the UK power is pretty much rendered useless if your going to be bouncing all over the roads and dodging potholes.

my gen 7 handles very well when it's me +1 but as soon as i have anyone in the back it lacks the power needed to fly.

for me i'm not going the coilover route, it's going to be new OE shocks and Eibach springs with new poly bushes full struts etc, so it stiffens the beauty right up, wheel spacers and some top end shoes. then the brakes will be upgraded so i can stop better. then and only then will the power gains come in. and even then i'm only going for a full manifold exhaust system, induction kit, spark plugs, cam kit, lightened fly wheel, and aftermarket ecu. that's all i'm going for.

for me it's always going to be handling over power first after a darn good service!

my reason for this is after a darn good service you have a decent level to start the power work from but considering the quality of the roads in the UK power is pretty much rendered useless if your going to be bouncing all over the roads and dodging potholes.

my gen 7 handles very well when it's me +1 but as soon as i have anyone in the back it lacks the power needed to fly.

for me i'm not going the coilover route, it's going to be new OE shocks and Eibach springs with new poly bushes full struts etc, so it stiffens the beauty right up, wheel spacers and some top end shoes. then the brakes will be upgraded so i can stop better. then and only then will the power gains come in. and even then i'm only going for a full manifold exhaust system, induction kit, spark plugs, cam kit, lightened fly wheel, and aftermarket ecu. that's all i'm going for.

All he says lol :)

Both, having not much of either this year has highlighted this for me, I should have spent the money i did on tyres and suspension if i'm honest...

if you can only afford to do one then handling first to make the most of the power you have ;) ......

Both, having not much of either this year has highlighted this for me, I should have spent the money i did on tyres and suspension if i'm honest...

if you can only afford to do one then handling first to make the most of the power you have ;) ......

Get rid of the auto bek. I guarantee at least 2 seconds gain from the manual.

i would say power

the reason ?

handling is the fastest way of geting a car round a race track but we dont drive tracks as a normaility , decent standard suspension is good enough for everyday use so you only get a decent benifit when down on a track , however coilovers feel great untill you drive the rutted mess that is the uk road system , tribanding , curbs , potholes and shit repairs mean a car with the very best suspension simply will never get to use it to its capacity and being honset and im far from an angel here you need to ask just how quick can you go on public roads and is it a good idea to be taking it to the extremes of grip in public ? on the track then hell yeah , decent suspension plus decent brakes and tyres will make you brake and sling it into the twisty stuff faster than it seems is possible to the point its not eay to hold on and it can evenbecome painfull , but out in public then ponys are the smiles per mile , slapping the FUKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK pedal on the way out of islands is a dam site more fun when you have 400 brake plus 400 brake doesnt mind speedbumps , on the track though some little twat with 150 brake and coilovers in his glanza v is always going to annoy the shit out of anyone even when they have 400 bhp

track , suspension

road , power

i would say power

the reason ?

handling is the fastest way of geting a car round a race track but we dont drive tracks as a normaility , decent standard suspension is good enough for everyday use so you only get a decent benifit when down on a track , however coilovers feel great untill you drive the rutted mess that is the uk road system , tribanding , curbs , potholes and shit repairs mean a car with the very best suspension simply will never get to use it to its capacity and being honset and im far from an angel here you need to ask just how quick can you go on public roads and is it a good idea to be taking it to the extremes of grip in public ? on the track then hell yeah , decent suspension plus decent brakes and tyres will make you brake and sling it into the twisty stuff faster than it seems is possible to the point its not eay to hold on and it can evenbecome painfull , but out in public then ponys are the smiles per mile , slapping the FUKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK pedal on the way out of islands is a dam site more fun when you have 400 brake plus 400 brake doesnt mind speedbumps , on the track though some little twat with 150 brake and coilovers in his glanza v is always going to annoy the shit out of anyone even when they have 400 bhp

track , suspension

road , power

Good view point izzy

Need to work out what you require from you car first.! I'm running tein coilovers, arb's, Poly bushes ect ect ect and it's fantastic for about 350bhp.! Now running more power, I'm suffering coming out of corners as I'm having to feather the throttle making it slower.. I also suffer with 1/4 times as she just spins the wheels because she's to firm.

My rule of thumb is.. Brakes..Brakes and brakes. What the point starting with anything else. One of the first things I upgraded.. 6 pots on front with 205 hubs and 205 rears on 205 hubs.! Works well.. Apart from the abs.!! (coming out this week.) no point having power if you can't stop... No point going round corners quick if your not capable in stopping in an emergency.! Any hard work could be in bits up against a tree or even tyre wall without them.!!!

My rule of thumb is.. Brakes..Brakes and brakes. What the point starting with anything else. One of the first things I upgraded.. 6 pots on front with 205 hubs and 205 rears on 205 hubs.! Works well.. Apart from the abs.!! (coming out this week.) no point having power if you can't stop... No point going round corners quick if your not capable in stopping in an emergency.! Any hard work could be in bits up against a tree or even tyre wall without them.!!!

Could not agree more about brakes - nothing inspires more confidence than good brakes.

They were the 1st things i upgraded too - shame it took so long to get em to fit though :angry:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.