215/45's will affect speedo, but what if I want that?

Hi all,

As we know, some cars are atleast 10% out on their speedo, mine definitely is if you go by what my Sat Nav says (32/33-ish on speedo is only 30, 43/44-ish is really 40 etc. etc.) and we all know tyre's affect the speedo.

So would it really be a fround upon thing to purposefullly go for 215/40/17's instead of the usual 215/45?

Reason I ask is this site says it'll bring the speedo back to reality by 2%, and to be honest... I want that! If it was up to me my speed would be 100% accurate, I don't like this 'guessing' game shite I like to know exactly what things do and how they're doing it especially when it comes to speed and the law.

I understand this would help slighly with accel.., but also increase fuel consumpion but i'd like to hear your thoughts please?

I was under the impression that Tyres with a larger rolling radius gave a truer reading Speedo wise. A few members on here (Aquazi for one) commented their Speedo was closer to the Sat Nav reading with 225/40/18.

205/40/17's are too small, the many disadvantages outweigh the increase in 0-60.

215/40/17 give a slight increase in acceleration and more protection from kerbing, but drawbacks are a harsher ride and a slightly bigger gap between Tyre and Arch compared to stock.

205/45/17 are the stock Tyre size for a gen 7.

215/45/17 will fill the Arches slightly better, give more Rim protection and a better ride. Downside is, as the rolling radius is increased over stock, acceleration will be slightly affected.

After trying the bottom three on my 140, I settled on 215/40 front..215/45 rear.

I run on 40's and the speedo at a higher speed is about 5mph out to a sat nav and the things on the side of the road (these are set like a speed camera)

However my arches look too small as youve seen.

But if your wanting 40's I will swap you your current tyres, mine are all practically new khumo's as again you've seen :)

iv got 205/40 tyres on my 17" t-sport wheels, when my speedo shows 30 my sat nav shows 26 which is exactly the same as my old standard 15" wheels.

I would rather it be a couple of mph fast as a just incase with all the speed camera's i pass through.

I was under the impression that Tyres with a larger rolling radius gave a truer reading Speedo wise. A few members on here (Aquazi for one) commented their Speedo was closer to the Sat Nav reading with 225/40/18.

I run 225/40/18 and my speedo is almost spot on.

Right so looks like it's 215/40's or 225/40's so get my speedo more accurate.

I completely understand people want a 'safe' speedo i.e. reading a few mph fast, but I want mine to say the speed i'm doing so I KNOW if i'm speeding or not

Right so looks like it's 215/40's or 225/40's so get my speedo more accurate.

I completely understand people want a 'safe' speedo i.e. reading a few mph fast, but I want mine to say the speed i'm doing so I KNOW if i'm speeding or not

The rim size matters too.

225/40/18 and 225/40/17 are different rolling radiuses.

And to concur with Masiv, my 225/40/18's are practically spot on GPS vs Speedo.

Hi all,

As we know, some cars are atleast 10% out on their speedo, mine definitely is if you go by what my Sat Nav says (32/33-ish on speedo is only 30, 43/44-ish is really 40 etc. etc.) and we all know tyre's affect the speedo.

So would it really be a fround upon thing to purposefullly go for 215/40/17's instead of the usual 215/45?

Reason I ask is this site says it'll bring the speedo back to reality by 2%, and to be honest... I want that! If it was up to me my speed would be 100% accurate, I don't like this 'guessing' game shite I like to know exactly what things do and how they're doing it especially when it comes to speed and the law.

I understand this would help slighly with accel.., but also increase fuel consumpion but i'd like to hear your thoughts please?

I think You can calibrate Your speedo with your satnav when You fitted Your 215/45/17 wheels or tyres... I find it hard to calibrate it at first but with patience and eagerness. It was Done after several attempts... 30 on speedo and 29 to 30 on satnav... almost perfect...

Do many people use 225's on 17" rims as I thought about sticking them on next time I need tyres - only problem I can think of is being a lot shitter in ice/snow.

Rad

me too :D

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.