gen 6 with no MOT

right im getting mega fooked off with my celica, so i was thinking of selling it as spare/repairs, basically afaik it needs a new cv joint, replacement hand brake cable and the car putting back on to pass a mot but im fed up of doing stuff to it cos every time i touch something i some how manage to break something else and im getting to the point now where im fed up of spending money on it, so far iv probably spend more than i paid for the flipping car just trying to get it ready for a mot and im at the end of my tether now with it

as some of you might have seen i had it up for sale with the assumption i would have had it mot'd by now but thats not gonna happen any time soon, here is a list of everything its got/had done etc etc

car has 158,000 miles but has very comprehensive history and has 3 keys and fobs, car is taxed till end of june aswell, it is drivable, just makes a weird sound sometimes cos the wheel wobbles slightly

17" Lenso alloys with 215/40/17 tyres

lowered 40mm on spax with KYB shocks

gen 7 seats

after market racing steering wheel

cf wrapped dahs parts

cf wrapped fuel cap

cf sun strip

mono gear knob

8000k HIDs

engine bay parts in red

HKS style mushroom filter

mini oil breather filter

JDM stickers down rear window

Generation VI sticker on bonnet

De cat pipe (cat will be back on for fresh MOT)

badges painted red

work iv done so far,

oil and filter change about 100 miles ago

replaced both outer CV gaiters

replaced N/S/F hub assembly

brake system fully bled through and replaced with new DOT 4

brand new front screen

bad points,

it looks like at some point it had a little ding on the drivers side rear 1/4 right next to the door (not a recorded accident) and the repair fill was not done very well and the paint has started to bubble, its hardly noticeable, its about the size of a tennis ball

there is a little dent on the rear 1/4 arch passenger side a the bottom, it hasnet creased and could well be heated up and popped out

air bag light is on as i have a after market steering wheel on it (i have the original steering wheel still)

its currently out of MOT

bits i have as spare

i have a set of red stuff rear brake pads (havent put them on as when i looked the rear pads had loads of life left on them so didnt see the point putting them on)

i have a brand new set on rear drop links (again they didnt look to bad to me so havent replaced them)

the original steering wheel

the original air box (no filter in it)

complete dash trimmings

a S/S dressing panel

hand brake cable

cat

what do we think its worth, realistically? id like about £600 for it all cos of all the mods but would that be realistic?

picture

CRW_4346.jpg

Edited by Dan23

I'd say £600 is a fair price, all it needs is someone with the know-how to sort out those problems, which could probably be done on a budget if bits were bought off another car being broken. Shame really, don't you have an MR2 as well? If you wanted to stay Celica..you could probably pick up another GT for not much more than £600...they're going for pennies these days!

Didn't finish that properly, was gonna say use the mr2 and just keep the celica off the road till you have enough to let someone like japex give it a full once over. Although for the money you'd make on breaking it plus a bit more...you could just buy another

its not my MR2 its my old mans, he lends it to me when my car breaks down (which recently is a common thing) hes said i can use it but you can probably imagine its a perfect chance to black mail me when he wants me to do favours for him, it all stems back to oh whos car is getting yuo out of trouble blah blah blah :lol: so for that breaking it really isnt a option as id want out of borrowing his car asap really.

with regards to sticking with celica, i dunno, i have been thinking of getting a mk1 mr2 like my dads, they are a blast to drive, sucks they dont have PAS but every thing else is electrical and they are nippy as fook and pretty good ones can be had for around £500 now days.

Guest joer

600 quid is a great price id say! if i lived nearer id snap it up for 600quid! even if someone was to strip it they could make there money back surely?

Surely with all the work you've been doing you must be starting to get somewhere. The breakers on here are all doing really good prices on parts at the moment. Some of us have had "good cars" for as little as £500 but Ive always been of the belief that a car should cost no less than a couple of grand, so if the buying price is lower the repair bill over time usualy makes up the difference.

You've turned out a few gen 6's quite nicely over the last few years Dan, this one being a good example too and despite the problems you've had I thought it was coming together.

Maybe it's too late for all this but Im sure if you stick with it you could get it finnished of quite nicely.

Look at the good bits, like the celicas Ive had Im guessing that this would include:

the engine

the fact that all the door seals are still working

the interior still looks pretty new

the floors and sills are still solid

the looks ffs!

sure there's more

Dan, i hope you change your mind about selling. You're just not feeling the love for it just now because of the recent probs but its got so much going for it now you've got this far surely worth persevering.

If you didnt have a celi just now and you saw your ad i reckon you'd be wanting to buy it looking at all the things that have been done?

Dan, none of those are hard/difficult jobs to sort out. May be a little time consuming but the car is far from being dead, just needs a tiny amount of TLC!!!!

I know you say you don't want to borrow your dad's car but at least you have that option, a lot of us are screwed when the car has a hissy fit and dont have any means of transport apart from public.

I would say borrow the MR2 and get the Celica fixed up. Sounds to me like you just don't have much patience dude, these things take time but you can save A LOT of money by giving things a go yourself and you are car minded so im sure with some guides and advise on here you could sort them out.

Those problems really don't sound bad at all dude. What does it matter if you owe your dad a few favours, least you have a car you can use while you sort the Celica :D

You need to remember the age of these cars, things will start to go wrong and parts will need replacing.

Chin up, crack on and get it sorted :D :D

Dan, none of those are hard/difficult jobs to sort out. May be a little time consuming but the car is far from being dead, just needs a tiny amount of TLC!!!!

I know you say you don't want to borrow your dad's car but at least you have that option, a lot of us are screwed when the car has a hissy fit and dont have any means of transport apart from public.

I would say borrow the MR2 and get the Celica fixed up. Sounds to me like you just don't have much patience dude, these things take time but you can save A LOT of money by giving things a go yourself and you are car minded so im sure with some guides and advise on here you could sort them out.

Those problems really don't sound bad at all dude. What does it matter if you owe your dad a few favours, least you have a car you can use while you sort the Celica :D

You need to remember the age of these cars, things will start to go wrong and parts will need replacing.

Chin up, crack on and get it sorted :D :D

Hear what you're saying, but sometimes it's just more effort than it's ever worth. If it's one thing after the other, the cost vs value just becomes uneven...they're great cars but they're hardly worth blood, sweat and tears. If it's fucked beyond someones patience, sell on and buy another in better condition...not rare are they!

what people are missing is every time i replace something a part i move seems to break and im fed up of that happening now, i have spoke to nick and he is sorting me a drive shaft and i have the other bits to do the jobs, just worried when i replace a part whats the next part thats gonna give up on me

its up for sale as it is, but if i get the parts in then i will fix them as they are not overly hard to fix, car is just really testing my patients now

Some one pop round and give the man a hand with it, if you were closer dan I would come round and scratch my head while you cussed at the car........ you need some love man! some one off the club go and love him, get the club map up (thank god I'm miles away)

the only bits i need help with requires someone skinny cos i cant get the car high enough to get under it to replace the hand brake cable and put the cat back on as the car is to low :lol: trying to sort out a drive shaft with nick, he just aint got a passenger side one in atm

Edited by Dan23

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.