CELICALITUS - explained

Steve C

Celicalitus is a disease associated with people who are obesessed about the sports car, the Toyota Celica series from the very first generation, through to the final seventh generation.

It can be passed down through family genes as certain members of families may have had it before their offspring, therefore it automaticly passes on to them. Certain members on the Celica Club UK have caught the disease through this way.

Other ways it can be caught are through friends who insist on brainwashing their mates on how good and sexy the Celica is, therefore influencing someone who was about to buy a Ford , Vauxhall, or Rover etc, into buying a Celica instead.

It can also be self inflicted. When one has passed their driving exam, they don't go and buy a normal sensible family car which gets them from A to B, but do their research on a Toyota Celica and decide they want excitment that a normal car can't provide. It also has an added attraction for male owners, that it can attract the female species :naughty

Its a disease which becomes an addiction. Withdrawal symptoms are inevitable. Owners cannot stop thinking about their cars and tinkering with them.

Symptons of Celicalitus :

Polishing the Celica everyday or in extreme cases, twice a day.

Going to and from the garage or drive, every so often to look at the Celica.

Secretly sneaking a Celica brochure into the toilet :drool:

Starting the engine up and just listening to it.

Taking lots of photos and making videos of it.

Checking the Celica Club forum for new posts.

Driving to meaningless destinations, taking the longer route than usual and taking photos.

Taking bits of engine apart, looking at it, take photos of it.

Buying little toy models to go alongside the real thing.

Arranging meets to look at other Celicas.

Wearing a T-shirt with a photo of your Celica, to tell everyone you have Celicalitus.

Keep turning your head several times to look at it after parking up.

Looking at reflections of the Celica in shop windows while driving.

Owning more than one Celica.

Thinking about what job next to do on it, when sleeping ( ignoring the other half :cry: ).

Parking your Celica in a heated, carpeted room, that's even nicer than your bedroom.

These are some of the main symptons, and there many more. Currently there is no known cure. Sufferers will have the disease forever and they just have to deal with it in a controlled enviroment such as the Celica Club UK. It's thanks this club that we have the disease under control. Although recently the forum went through a refurbishment and sufferers had no-where to release their desires. :o

Fellow sufferers of CELICALITUS.......please do not feel isolated, we are all here to support one another and NOBODY on here will laugh or bully each other......we ALL have the same disease.

Edited by Steve C

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Being a fellow sufferer myself I feel I should point out that this affliction can easily mutate into the much more prevalent condition of Toyotaitus.

Back in 2004 I was a normal bloke with varied interests in all sorts of cars. Then the brother-in-law asked me to collect and sell his Sunchaser. Looking back I now think he'd realised the stage he was at because as well as having owned various Toyotas he also had a Lexus. (Lexusitus ia a much rarer but very expensive offshoot of Toyotaitus).

He was emigrating to the Dominican in an effort to escape the clutches of this. (footnote: He's now realised it's even more widespread over there but is limited to mainly 4x4's)

I foolishly picked up the Sunchaser and within 6 months had bought it off him for myself.

Fast forward nearly 7 years and you'll find I now have 4 Sunchasers, a 79 Corolla Liftback and an 85 Corolla as an everyday car. The wife had until recently a 92 Corolla but being stronger than me overcame everything and now has a Corsa. The other victims in this have been my stepson who through attending various shows with me succumbed to the pressure and now has 5 MR2's. Also the last car the father-in-law had over here before he died was a Carina 2 but I think this was genetically inherited from his son Richard (the one who had the Sunchaser !!) or vice-versa.

An offshoot is I now have a large collection of various spares for my cars and way too many magazines and brochures. All in all I'm still a happy person because like Steve I believe I'm in full control of this and have no plans to buy any more cars ( not this week anyway :D ). People who think they may be affected have two great support groups in CCUK and the TEC (Toyota Enthusiasts Club).

PS Those who have met me will know all of the above is 100% true.

Edited by misterC

Being a fellow sufferer myself I feel I should point out that this affliction can easily mutate into the much more prevalent condition of Toyotaitus.

Back in 2004 I was a normal bloke with varied interests in all sorts of cars. Then the brother-in-law asked me to collect and sell his Sunchaser. Looking back I now think he'd realised the stage he was at because as well as having owned various Toyotas he also had a Lexus. (Lexusitus ia a much rarer but very expensive offshoot of Toyotaitus).

He was emigrating to the Dominican in an effort to escape the clutches of this. (footnote: He's now realised it's even more widespread over there but is limited to mainly 4x4's)

I foolishly picked up the Sunchaser and within 6 months had bought it off him for myself.

Fast forward nearly 7 years and you'll find I now have 4 Sunchasers, a 79 Corolla Liftback and an 85 Corolla as an everyday car. The wife had until recently a 92 Corolla but being stronger than me overcame everything and now has a Corsa. The other victims in this have been my stepson who through attending various shows with me succumbed to the pressure and now has 5 MR2's. Also the last car the father-in-law had over here before he died was a Carina 2 but I think this was genetically inherited from his son Richard (the one who had the Sunchaser !!) or vice-versa.

An offshoot is I now have a large collection of vasrious spares for my cars and way too many magazines and brochures. All in all I'm still a happy person because like Steve I believe I'm in full control of this and have no plans to buy any more cars ( not this week anyway :D ). People who think they may be affected have two great support groups in CCUK and the TEC (Toyota Enthusiasts Club).

PS Those who have met me will now all of the above is 100% true.

I can vouch for this!

Infact I saw you in the Sunchaser the other week Ian at the Middlewich Street traffic lights!

You planning on attending JAPS North again?

Love it, and as a certified sufferer (as my bank balance will testify) I'll also add to that list of pausing for more than a few seconds by any window where you can see your celica and just admiring it with a smug feeling of satisfaction :lol:

Keep turning your head several times to look at it after parking up.

HAHAHAHA I DO THAT! and at the same time telling the missus.... dont you just love the front of my Car :D ( Because the facelift gen 7 is gorgeous! )

and i make sure I can see my car from my work office!

also, I keep taking my car to the same car wash just to eb told by the lads who wash the car that I have a ncie car and they like washing it lol

Good morning ... Spelling Police here. :)

If you meant Celicaitis, with an "i", then it would medically refer to an inflammatory condition. There is no medical "-itus" suffix.

So, if you find you're coming out in inflamed red splotches or are getting excessively itchy when you drive your Celica, you may have Celicaitis. It may be an idea to have your car de-loused.

Angus

Well I spend all day on here talking crap, and since 2008 I have owned 4 celicas :P

3 gen 6 and 1 gen 5, after a recent trip to australia i bought a gen 4 which is in my parents garage, would be a fair old trip to go and polish that :D

Well I spend all day on here talking crap, and since 2008 I have owned 4 celicas :P

well i can safely say im not far from this

iv been here since 2008, had 3 celicas, keep leaving them but always find myself coming back to them, even when i dont own one i love looking at them, so i to have Celicaitis

well i can safely say im not far from this

iv been here since 2008, had 3 celicas, keep leaving them but always find myself coming back to them, even when i dont own one i love looking at them, so i to have Celicaitis

true dan :P

i currently have my gen5 and my original gen 6, but still find myself looking all the time :D

I definitly suffer the neck breaking turn-your-head-to-look-at-it-multiple-times when walking away! I also find myself looking out of my bedroom window just wondering if I have an excuse to drive it. God damn petrol prices...I'd be out in it all the time if it wasn't so heavy on the wallet.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.