Why the poor fuel economy

DanH

Hi guys

I noticed that the fuel economy is pretty lame when driving mostly in town and i was wondering if its normal or not?

On the motorway i can squeeze ~400 miles with a full tank and I'm fine with that but the last full tank was "emptied" after driving only 210 miles in the city of Edinburgh.

Is that normal? Is something wrong with the car? Or my foot is maybe a bit heavy?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

well if your in the city there is a lot of traffic so more stop starts, changing gears etc so yea mileage will go down in cities but i cant say if this is a lot or to little miles as it comes down to your driving style.

i can get 400-420 miles on the motorway and about 300ish miles when driving back and forth work which is grangemouth to falkirk

there is a huge difference between driving a gen 6 in stop start traffic and driving on the motorway

in town in the gt4 I was putting petrol in like it was a GT4 :P

motorway is was getting around 400 miles to a tank.

st202 around town worked out at about 32mpg

whereas on motorway runs i managed to get a 20 year old gen 6 to return 41mpg on more than one occasion

• Like 1

My first fill up in the ST182 and I got 32mpg with mixed motorway and town driving, roughly 300 Miles/40 Litres.

IIRC its a 60 Litre fuel tank, I am just not that brave to go much below the low fuel line....

from conking out completly on my flat drive last summer it took 15£ to switch the light off, shoud be about 16£.50 now :xmas_laugh:

i was well bored that day and nothing else was broke at the time :xmas_rolleyes:

• Like 1

Edinburgh is a mare Dan, even the bypass and the M8 and dead slow when I go home.....if you are getting 400 miles on open road then would say car is fine!

I'm getting less due to hitting the loud pedal once I get on the M9 / backroads!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Wow. 400 miles to a tank on open road. I have only ever come close to that once. Most long distance trips I do I get about 370 from full to empty. Most commuting trips I get about 300 to a tank.With some supermarket fuels I can only get 270 to a tank.

• Like 1

Wow. 400 miles to a tank on open road. I have only ever come close to that once. Most long distance trips I do I get about 370 from full to empty. Most commuting trips I get about 300 to a tank.With some supermarket fuels I can only get 270 to a tank.

who supplies the fuel can make a huge difference. My gt4's and the caldina do not like tesco fuel not even the 99. and the fuel economy suffers....surprisingly the cheapest around is ASDA 95 and give me the best mpg by far

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.