hmm which ones ...grooved or Dimpled or both

Akuma77

im trying to decide which Mtec brake discs i want to go for at the end of this month ...

ive read most threads on here and still not sure which ones to go for :

dimpled and grooved :

post-38304-0-68749900-1394723414_thumb.jpg

or just grooved :

post-38304-0-45965400-1394723445_thumb.jpg

if i did go for the grooved example how many grooves do they come with ?

I would go neither, as it makes no difference unless you're racing on a track.

Maybe not, but if you're in need of new discs, you may as well as they give a much better appearance behind the wheel than a solid disc.

That's primarily why I had mine drilled and grooved. I won't be tracking this for some time so it's just fast road use. My discs were shot, so while ordering new MTEC discs I just had them drilled and grooved to look better, and I don't think anyone can disagree on that. They look far better.

zK0qY1T.jpg

Sorry :blush: you can see the discs better in my other photos, but that one's a better picture overall.

In terms of which you should go for though, grooved or dimpled & grooved will be personal preference. I had drilled but I heard that drilled discs are weaker as there's less material due to being drilled thus making weak spots, but I'm not being funny; you'd have to be absolutely hammering them on a track over and over again to cause that kind of damage.

So in other words, it's just personal preference :)

Edited by geraintthomas

yeah true and as im going for the coated versions probably black anyway ... its never going to be a track weapon but anything will be better than my standard rusty look ....

i dont think i will be thinking drilled anyway but im very going towards the groove but im unsure on how many grooves are better and and the more grooves will it put the cost up as such or not ..on the other hand i like the dimpled look too but have heard many have had problems with extra noises etc .....

Just grooved are fine. Helps normal road uses to keep their pads de-glazed and should you venture onto the track then you will benefit from them. Grooves are also a good visual wear indicator.

Would not bother with dimples or drilled as you don't want to reduce the friction area too much. Or discs are small enough.

Plain discs don't howl nearly as often as grooved or dimpled. I'd personally plump for plain discs unless you're likely to require the added cooling due to intense braking regularly. I know grooved discs look nice but they do have a habit of squealing or ticking etc.

• Like 1

Lots of grooves & dimples mean less surface for the pads to make contact with though :) For me, 8 grooves is too many on such a small disc, especially with a braking system renowned for having rubbish bite. Adding dimples/drilled into the mix is just taking away more contact area.

• Like 1

I've got drilled and grooved and mine don't make any noise?

Lots of grooves & dimples mean less surface for the pads to make contact with though :) For me, 8 grooves is too many on such a small disc, especially with a braking system renowned for having rubbish bite. Adding dimples/drilled into the mix is just taking away more contact area.

Didn't think of that, very true!

Plain discs don't howl nearly as often as grooved or dimpled. I'd personally plump for plain discs unless you're likely to require the added cooling due to intense braking regularly. I know grooved discs look nice but they do have a habit of squealing or ticking etc.

i thought that was only the dimpled ones?

so if i went for grooved ..... 3 - 6 grooves maximum will be better than 10 correct?

I think you're making the correct choice with just grooved and coated. Thought 'ticking' only came with the drilled discs. Are you getting them from FreakyParts?

I've just plumped for new disks and pads all round. Got them of freakyparts - we had a bit of chat and dimples/drilled are a bit marmite.. groved will help a littleover standard plain disks so that's what I've gone for.

yep defo from stu and ive decided grooved now i have to ask stu how many grooves they come with first

Mine had 10, but we're talking a few year back now so not sure if they've changed them. My new discs have 6, which seems more than enough.

yeah it looks like between 3 and 8

so jo3 when did you get your new ones and what do they look like ?

Sorry mate, new discs are part of a BBK setup & not MTEC.

IMAG0019_zpsracklsap.jpg

Edited by J03

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.