bad move?

Slightly different angle than previous but worth considering.

Lets forget the fuel consumption for the moment

Moving to a gt4 is very appealing, however, this would be an older car, certainly more miles than 23k (unless you find the car of century that is) therefore, if it goes wrong, are you in a position to fix it yourself and/or can you afford to pay a garage to repair it for you.

As this is your daily drive is there something else to use if the car is in the garage for a week or so being repaired?

If you are OK with this then do it..

I would do the test drive thing as mentioned by others but you are in the great postion of having a nice low mileage car at the moment which you can hang on to until you find the perfect gt4 . . . .

Boring answer I know, but 23k is nothing,I doubt whether the oil has even got round the engine yet !! :)

I'm not able to run two cars I'm afraid :( that would be the perfect garage but I just couldn't afford it

So it's one or the other really,the more I think about it I know money wise it makes sense to keep the gen 7,I just wish it had a bit more poke

There's always Lee at Se7en with his Stage 2 cams. "Better the devil you know" and all that..

I use a gt4 at present as my daily and I do over 30k a year

Fuel isn't that much more expensive than a gt so not much more than a 190 at the end of the day mpg is more how you drive than what you drive

I would not recommend a gt4 to someone doing a lot of town driving and store starts. As it gets on my nerves

I wouldn't recommend a gen7 either as they are fugly and the interior is not as good quality as the older celicas

A lot of talk seems to be making it sound like the GT4 is fragile? Over 4 years of owner ship the only thing ive needed to replace is a starter motor and a set of tyres. All the other work ive done has been unnessasary. As said if its alot if start stop driving it may not be the best with the four wheel drive etc

Motor ways A and B roads, country winding roads are fun. Go for it. Yes its older but theres alot of fresh imports come over sub 40k. Yes its older but id say they are build 100times better than a 7. Like Dubs said most faults come with people modding them. Start going over 300hp and of course things will break and wear out quicker. DO IT!

I went from a gen 7 to a gt4. I loved it at first, and put up with the cost but its seriously annoying me now. I average 19 mpg and with it being 20 years old this year, the body work on mine really is starting to show its age with paint flaking on the front bumper and spoiler and I had to have the roof resprayed as that was just terrible. You could find a very very good well looked after GT4, but an old car with high miles is just that, even if loads of components have been replaced, something else will eventually fail.

My GF has recently bought a 190 gen 7 and I can honestly say now that im use to the GT4 speed, the gen 7 although slower is just as fun as you can use most of the power most of the time while still getting decent mpg. I will be going back to a gen 7 in the very near future. The GT4 is a great car and if I had the money to throw at it, I would make mine perfect and use it as a daily driver no problem. But its all down to cost and if your willing to faff around with it :)

I used my GT4 as a daily driver for many years, both short trips to the office which was about six miles, and long commutes down to Trawsfynydd in Wales, Watchet in Somerset and up to Largs in Scotland. Never let me down once in either standard form or when I was running 1.3 bar of boost, even with 235,000 miles on the clock it never missed a beat. In the last three years of ownership all I did was replace oil, and still no problems what so ever.

However the diesel soda I got never ran right, cost me a fortune in maintenance and was generally a pain in the arse. Two head gaskets, three turbos, two cam shafts, a complete cooling system replacement etc etc.

Petrol is the only cost above the normal running costs of any car if you look after it and don't start messing with it. The worst thing I ever did to my GT4 was to not use it every day, they like being driven.

I dont think anyone is being neccessarily negative about the GT4 at all. I think people are eering on the side of caution and giving Looney the honest truth in terms of general maintenance. Any car regardless of age can just break down it is not an age thing its a maintenance thing. Look at my faff, Rob had spent an absolute fortune on that car, track prepped it with the clutch, FMIC, Brakes, Suspension it had never wanted for anything. Six months later and the guy who bought it from me has managed to blow it somehow :shrug:

I maintain that the G6 GT4 is the ultimate Celica from factory, it had power precision looks (mostly) :lol: and reliability. But I also maintain that you need deep pockets. I only drove 6 miles a day to work and back so didnt think that fuel costs would be an issue but they were. My G7 as a daily and living with it on a day to day basis is more than enough for me. Like sai said it has enough useable power on a day to day basis especially round here where its just combinations of 30/40 zones and twisty back roads. More fun in a faff on those back roads but still plenty of joy to be had in the 7 on them too :)

I hear what people are saying and I know where you are all coming from,it's always nice to have opinions and thanks for those that have commented.

I did think about a s2000 maybe but I'm not sure on that long bonnet,yes I am fussy lol

Gt4s are lovely and in my eyes are the ultimate celica,however I think running one will just be too much for me money wise :( sometimes I think maybe I should of kept the dc5,it was a good car but just felt like a striped out race car,and it doesn't always suit the occasion lol where's the celica is a good all rounder but it does lack that power and slightly build quality that the gen 6 had.

Nothing really negative about GT4's. My G6 GT4 had a bad drinking habit, but apart from that it was rock solid and reliable. The G7 we have now as a daily is much more plasticky, but its easier to drive and doesn't need to visit the fuel garage so often. But it acts just like any modern car - the GT4 had real character and would put a smile on my face every time I drove it

Ideal situation is having both - i pick my 190 up tomoro

One is confused. I thought you weren't going to Ace as you were one short on the Celi front. I have seen the yellow peril in various stages of decline but not t'other one unless that one was in the parking bay down the road. Are you in fact merely down to your last gt4 plus new gen 7 coming?

Im getting one but still not going to ace as i dont want to - got to clear up after my BBQ

And as it says getting my 190 tomoro

thats fine but do you still have a spare gt4 up your jumper??? errr I take that as a no not yet but going to replace the last of the gt4s then.

Nice!

Edited by daytona

Just my grey one thats away and will be away for god knows how long and the yellow bag of shite digs is having

oh lord that just took me back 27 years to my eldests first poo. Isn't it an amzing mix of rainbow colours!!!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.