standard fuel VS premium Fuel

kenyon

You can't really calculate mpg by putting 25 quid in at a time because the gauge is not very accurate. The only way is to brim the tank, run to almost empty and then brim again to work out how much was used.

Personally I use esso standard unleaded because that's what the garage round the corner sells. My nearest shell station is ten miles away so that's the best part of a gallon to get there and back. Sometimes if I need a fill up and am passing a shell I'll put v power in but there is no real difference in mpg as far as I can tell.

my 140 didnt like premium stuff, I found it took longer to start on it but it was significantly more responsive, tried it for a few months when the car was fairly new

I know modern diesels do benefit significantly from the premium stuff

You don't need to reset the ECU to notice a difference, it's pretty much immediate from the point of which you have no premium unleaded in your tank, and there's only the higher octane fuel.

You can't get comparable numbers until you've bled the tank dry of 95 and switched to 99.

I didn't notice much difference in mpg when switching to high octane.. actually it was worse but I think that was due to using considerably more lift than usual on those trips :lol: (Snake pass on way to Sheffield, glorious road).

The feel in the engine is noticeable however. It's been running a hell of a lot smoother since topping up with v-power.

• 3 weeks later...

I've been adding Millers Petrol Eco Max over the past few months in my 140.

Now getting 38-39mpg mixed driving, last year it was 36-39.

Halfrauds sell it for £13, about a tenner off the interweb so it works out cheaper and also means I can carry on using supermarket petrol - Nectar points, innit.

It's very noticeable in my car. I don't have an ECU or anything to compensate ignition timing so I can feel the difference as soon as I put cheaper fuel in. It's just got "less of everything"....I suppose modern cars can compensate and blur the edges but mine can't.

I use Shell V power whenever I can but I don't worry if I have to use other stuff.

i used to have my older cars on standard 95 ron and when i got the celica (it says in the book you are supposed to use superunleaded ) i always wanted to use it in my old v6 but never got round to trying it but shell vpower i wouldnt use anything else.. so a thumbs up from me

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.