Just scared myself sh1tless

While driving home from work at usual duel carriageway speeds I heard a 'clonk' underneath the car.as though I had run over something. I did the obvious thing and slow down a bit, turned the radio down to see if I could hear any untoward noises.All seemed OK.

About a mile further down the road my steering wheel started to vibrate a little. My thoughts were possible puncture. but as I was less than I mile from home I would risk the drive and then have a good check over the car in my drive way.

I turn into my road and there is a banging noise from the front, off side, This is the side that I knew I had an issue with a drop link, so I thought it may be that...... Oh how wrong I was.

On turning into my drive the car came to an abrupt stand still. The wife was out side and said 'Oh My God, what the Hell was that bang from your car"

I get out and have a look.The initial clonk was a bolt falling off the car, not any old bolt but the Caliper upper mounting bolt. The bang the wife heard was the caliper moving & wedging itself on the wheel rim. :o

I count myself very lucky it happened at very low speed.and I had a replacement bolt in my box of spares.

The moral to this story is that when you do work on your car, double check the torque on all your fixings. I had replaced the calipers a couple of months ago.

I have no idea yet. Droplinks def. Need changing but it may well solve some of the noise issues. Just calming down after all the thoughts of what could have happened have gone through my head.

Luck escape I think.

• Like 1

Funny you should have this happen as i was walking back to my old ST after work one night and noticed the caliper didnt looks right and the upper bolt had dropped out down the road...now i loctite all of my brake caliper mounting bolts so i know they wont fall out :thumbs:

So you never used a torque wrench....where would you find out what torque to set it at??

Precisely i use a torque wrench for everything that i can find a torque figure for but when i cant...tight and some loctite :thumbs:

The workshop manuals. Those bolts should've been done up at about 75Nm, IIRC.

Wow...my wheels nuts are 100NM and a little 13mm bolt is not gonna have 75nm on it...or i would be very surprised if it did....ford have 28NM for caliper bolts

Depends which one we're talking about. :lol:

The caliper bolt is 13mm, the carrier bolt would be larger so I would guess he is on about the caliper one. The carrier bolt would most likely be the on at 70 odd nm :)

lucky one that bud, had the same thing happen to me on the way to Blyton except mine had stripped the threads so I couldn't even swap the bottom bolt to the top to let me 'limp' on. was 140 miles from home and had just pulled off the motorway....

lot to be said for engine braking.

my mate stripped the front corner from his girlfriends ST and drove all the way down to swap it over (yes I did a trackday with 3 Drilled / grooved GT disks and one standard ST front!)

Also sometimes when doing up the 13mm bolts on the caliper the nut on the other end can spin, want to make sure you grip that with a spanner or grips so the bolt actually pinches

Edited by Alex991

On mine it was the carrier bolt that went 'walk-a-bout'. I think it's about M12 x 1 (metric fine pitch) so not your bog standard thread. :Luckily I had 4 spare ones

According to a data sheet I found on line the torque figure should be should be 79 ft/lb or 107 Nm. I clearly had missed this when faffing around with the calipers the other month.

Type: Bolt Dim: Length: Head: Hexagon Grade: 79 Ft-Lbs 948 In-Lbs 107.11 N-m Connects: Caliper Mounting Bracket To Steering Knuckle Years: 1990-1999 Note: T180/T200 - FRONT

The smaller M8 bolts which hold the caliper to the caliper guide pins are

Type: Bolt Dim: Length: Head: Hexagon Grade: 25 Ft-Lbs 300 In-Lbs 33.9 N-m Connects: Caliper To Caliper Mounting Bracket Years: 1994-1999 Note: T200 - FRONT Guide Pins Bolts Edited by Monkey Boy 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.