Replacing fuel pump -safety question before restarting!

digs

Hi :)

Just having a quick panic. I fitted a new 255 fuel pump to my st202 (for turbo).

I had to cut the wires of the old fuel pump, and used a crimped butt terminal, e.g. http://www.thetoolboxshop.com/0-001-16-pack-of-50-durite-coloured-crimp-terminal-butt-connector-yellow-6131.html , to connect the now exposed wires from the old pump to the connector on the new pump.

So...before I switch on....having an attack of nerves. Assumedly, this is fine and will not do anything stupid like ignite the fuel ? I can't see why as there are various connectors and wires in there, and fuel pumps burn out without igniting, but wanted to double check before starting her up.

Thanks for any comments.

EDIT - link doesn't work! should this be sealed somehow ?

Edited by digs

make sure you stick electrical tape over the top as well personally that sort of thing i would have solderd the wires together and heat shrinked them individually then one larger one over the top to turn it back into a type of loom

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/127-pce-Assortment-Black-Heat-Shrink-Wrap-Sleeves-Tubing-Sleeving-Wire-Cable-/170896951473?pt=UK_BOI_Electrical_Components_Supplies_ET&hash=item27ca4088b1

Edited by carlasumm

It's not too late for a trip to maplins to grab some heat shrink I think, rather be safe then....errr.....well a touch crispy :)

Dublet, the power of my faith will defend me from the flames, don't you worry ;)

It's not too late for a trip to maplins to grab some heat shrink I think, rather be safe then....errr.....well a touch crispy :)

Digs if I relyed on faith alone I'd be long gone lol it's my persistent ocd and checking things a million times that has saved me from being crispyfied..

Dublet, the power of my faith will defend me from the flames, don't you worry ;)

The heat wrap doesnt last long unless you buy the expensive oil/petrol resistant stuff and same goes for your insulated terminals you posted a link to, I use a commercial heat shrink connector thats resistant or where I can I will run new wire with terminals either side so no connectors

Martin

Nope, it's inside the tank, connects the new fuel pump wiring to old one, so will need to be resistant. Balls! I guess then its pull out and replace with resistive wrap... Least I know how to do it :)

As above, it will be immersed in petrol so will need to be petrol resistant.

IMO use a piece of petrol hose as insulation, and make it long enough that if it drops all the way down the wire, the joint will still be covered - i.e. make the wire above the joint longer than below and put the tubing above while making the joint.

DONT use sticky tape, the stick won't last 2 minutes.

Don't rely on cable ties unless you use petrol resistant or stainless ones (the latter WILL conduct of course)

Don't mount the wire in such a way that it can rub on any metalic surface and wear away the insulation.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.