Service history help?

Hi guys,

My car is due its yearly service next month. It's been serviced in July every year since it was made. As a result it has a full service history. Here's my dilemma, I worked in a "reputable" garage for 2 years when I was 16, I've seen how they operate and quite frankly for terms of servicing, for what's done to your car and how it's transferred into a charge I'd rather do it myself. Plus I want to use the best quality oils etc.

I have a few certificates in car maintenance including a level 1 certificate from the imial in vehicle maintenance. I serviced vehicles for 2 years, is this enough to say its still got a full service history if i do it myself?

It's a tough trade up because I struggle to trust people in that industry, especially after working in it for a year! If a job comes up I can't do, fair enough ill take it to a garage. However a service is easy.

Let me know your thoughts

Thanks.

Yeah, service history just shows the history of servicing, regardless of who has done it. So long as you change all the filters and fluids, and record the mileage and what items have been replaced, should be fine. :) I always service my own cars and I always record what I've done and changed - etc etc, never had a problem with it when it comes to sale.

You need to keep the receipts of the service items used, clip them together and file them with the service book....and then a new buyer can check the dates pretty much relate to the date you're putting in the service book.Personally, if you show me a book with handwritten service intervals then ive only got your word youve actually done it.A nice neat folder with all old receipts for work done, even down to small items shows pride of ownership to me,and im much more likely to hand over my money , and to give you nearer the price you want if you sell up. :thumbs:

excellent, tbh I don't plan on selling any time soon, @32K miles shes got a lot left in her yet. But I did ant to keep the service history going. I will keep all receipts etc.

Thanks for the help.

Depends on what you are going to do with the car, if the mileage is going to be kept low and the car concourse and standard then it's worth keeping the service history, if you are going to add 60,000 miles and keep it for 5 years then the cost versus the value of the car will go out of the window.

When I bought my Gen 7 the previous owner gave all the previous history, handbook etc. to me including all the bills for any parts that were used. (much more important than a bloody stamp in the book to me) plus all the old tax discs and MOTs and I continue to keep everything that I spend on it .I too, have worked for many years in the trade so I know what goes on (and what doesn't), but bear in mind that all Celicas are now regarded as old cars and FSH doesn't mean much and no longer adds a great deal to the cars value, if any at all.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.