Sudden rattling after filling fuel (Sound clip on post 17)

Yea I'm gunna give them a ring now and see if anyone is available to have a listen if I run it over.

Sound clip not offer any light dude?

im in work mate so cant hear it, but white smoke underlaod could be bad and deffo worth checking out, I have someone else interested in my 7afe but if yours is terminal I can get it on a pallet to you ;)

Just spoken to Fensport, take it in first thing in the morning for them to hear. They are homing straight in on the idea of diesel in the fuel at present. Interestingly they say that as long as its not more than about a 50-50 mix of petrol and diesel the engine will be fine and just need draining down and refilling :blink: I find that hard to believe but...

Thanks for that Briano, better PM me some details so I got an idea of prices if this turns out to need more major style work :(

Does sound rather bad, hope its not though fingers crossed! If it's buggered wouldn't it be an idea to cut your losses and buy a GT? Swap everthing over? Jumping the gun a bit but it sounds the most cost effective thing to do.

Couldn’t hear anything in that clip, if it was the big ends you wouldn’t be able to hear your self think so its not that however the white grey smoke says to me steam so that could be just that the engine is cold, if its up to temperature then you might have problems. What’s your coolant level like?

If it contaminated fuel then the noise you are hearing could well be pinking especially under load as you say but its really hard to tell with out being there in person. Dorris

Edited by Dorris

Yes the engine was at temperature, so bad smoke. Not thought to check coolant level, will look in morning, but temp gauge was reading perfectly normal.

The irony with all this is that, as some of you know, I have been humming and haring for quite some time now over whether to get the top end rebuilt or buy a GT. Because of the cash already spent on it last year rebuilding the top end is now cheaper than moving to a GT but I’m not confident anymore that its going to cure the problem. I know moving to a GT makes more sense, but I’ve developed a very strong attachment to this car and it’s a very hard decision to make to just abandon it…but it may very well come to that if this turns out to be a major problem :(

I will update tomorrow after going to see Fensport.

May not really be appropriate to say but I used to work for a company that did petrol loading and I know of more than one occasion where we sent a tanker out with quite a large ammount of water onboard as well. Now I dont want to say any specifics but it didnt end well for quite a few cars.

Not saying this is what happened but poorly designed plants can cause this on ocassion when they've just been pressure tested. It happened where I was as they had pressure tested the line with water but at low points in the piping hadn't fitted drain valves so couldn't get rid of it all.

Diagnosis from Fensport this morning was Pinking, probably being caused by poor quality fuel :angry: Burn it off on the run down to London and then refill with some 99ron and should then be back to normal. So god knows what it was that actually came out of Tesco’s pump!!!

They also checked the timing angle of the distributor. Was out by about 2mm so they reset to Toyota standard position and that has eradicated most of the rattle even now. Weird how such a small movement of a seemingly insignificant part can make such a big diff! :blink: To demonstrate they rocked the distributor back and forth and the rattle got significantly worse or all but disappeared depending on position!?!

Anyway, panic over and all sorted :D

Mods, I know its not a great sound bite but maybe you want to pin it up somewhere so that other people can hear what pinking sounds like in the future?

So god knows what it was that actually came out of Tesco’s pump!!!

I've stopped using Tesco since the day I picked up the unleaded pump got to about 7.50 then realised that on the other screen it was telling me the diesel pump was in use !! Went in and told them they said where really sorry just add more petrol and it should be fine, so I add 30 quids worth of petrol go in to pay and they try charging me 37.50 ! I gave em 30 and told them to stick the 7.50 cos I didn't want the diesel lol

I've stopped using Tesco since the day I picked up the unleaded pump got to about 7.50 then realised that on the other screen it was telling me the diesel pump was in use !! Went in and told them they said where really sorry just add more petrol and it should be fine, so I add 30 quids worth of petrol go in to pay and they try charging me 37.50 ! I gave em 30 and told them to stick the 7.50 cos I didn't want the diesel lol

:o :o Fecking hell mate! So you were using the Unleaded pump but it was cross connected to the diesel and actually pumping diesel into your car!!! How the HELL does that happen :blink: How did you then pump the £30 unleaded? Use different pump altogether or did you have to use the diesel pump to get unleaded :lol:

I wonder how many other people got really screwed over by that kind of mistake as well???

I only use shell as tesco and morrisons use to make my car run lumpy and acceleration was jolty shell is the best i can find for my car my dad use to have a merc put morrisons or jet in and engine management light came in i have cel light pop up at morrisons once

My old GT ran like clockwork, then I filled her up at Tesco and the next day I pulled out of a Junction and there was nothing there, sputtered and cut out, next junction exactly the same. Instantly thought there was something majorly wrong but it never happened again. I put it down to having moisture or full of crap in the fuel.

A chap i used to know was retired from quite high up in the petroleum industry. He said to me when i got my first celica, do yourself a favour and dont use supermarket fuel, its low quality. Use Shell or BP , He didnt work for either btw

I always remembered it as he was someone who knew his stuff

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.