Sudden rattling after filling fuel (Sound clip on post 17)

Right, this is rather concerning. Just filled up from about a quarter tank to full with £40 of normal unleaded. Within 2 miles the engine is rattling under acceleration load in 1st and 2nd gear and belching huge clouds of smoke out the exhaust :o Once into 3rd it settles down to its usual soft purr again!

Is this…

1. The oil burning problem suddenly getting a LOT worse. Head/valve stems related I’m guessing?
  2. Something to do with the fuel that just went in?

This is a real worry as I need to drive down to London on Saturday and not coming home till Tuesday morning. Is it going to be safe to drive or is it likely to go bang somewhere down the motorway? :unsure:

Oil level was fine when I went up town but going to check it again in a couple hours once its settled to make sure it hasn’t suddenly emptied itself! Will also check the air box as put the pressure washer over it after filling up, but cant really see how that would cause this unless water has somehow entered the air intake! :blink: Surely not possible with a standard air box set up?

Anything else I can check? :please:

Edited by Black Knight

my first thought also was diesel!

I don't want to alarm you but the same thing did happen to me. I filled up with petrol at a motorway service station and got about 6-8 miles down the road when I heard an engine rattle on acceleration....I immediately thought I had put in 95ron instead of 99 but I too checked my receipt. Turned out to be a big end bearing picking up. Just threw me that it happened immediately after filling up when it had been ok before I pulled in for fuel!

Hope your works out ok mate.

my first thought also was diesel!

I don't want to alarm you but the same thing did happen to me. I filled up with petrol at a motorway service station and got about 6-8 miles down the road when I heard an engine rattle on acceleration....I immediately thought I had put in 95ron instead of 99 but I too checked my receipt. Turned out to be a big end bearing picking up. Just threw me that it happened immediately after filling up when it had been ok before I pulled in for fuel!

Hope your works out ok mate.

If I go back to the petrol station, Tesco by the way, would they have any way to check that it is Unleaded coming out of the pump? I mean what if there tank has been filled up with diesel by mistake!?!

And whats a big end? Is that a safe to drive problem or a pull over imediatley before it gos pop problem?

If the bottom end has gone then your engine will have very limited life till it goes pop, or rather just grinds to a halt, but if it has gone you won't save the engine by not driving on it, it will just gradually get worse

What sort of rattle is it, high pitch, metallic, low knocking noise, is it speed or revs related

Very difficult to diagnose over an internet forum to be fair

Edited by rpsmith79

What colour is the smoke? I wouldn't associate smoke with big end failure but the rattle under load does kind of point that way. In my experience of big end failure the rattle occurs at a certain point in the rev range and it has a quite distinctive 'note' to it. Can you decribe the rattle, is it tinny, thuddy?

But it could be something that the jet washer has knocked loose too and you may have jetted a load of water up the exhaust pipe which is evapourating off.

If I go back to the petrol station, Tesco by the way, would they have any way to check that it is Unleaded coming out of the pump? I mean what if there tank has been filled up with diesel by mistake!?!

And whats a big end? Is that a safe to drive problem or a pull over imediatley before it gos pop problem?

They probably could check but there will be a lot of angry folks in front of you with broken down cars who had put more fuel in their tanks than you did. Thinking about it if it had been diesel then your car would be running pretty rough throughout the rev range.

Big end is the bearing that sits between the con rod and the crank shaft.

Edited by Limeymk1

I know its very difficult over a forum guys, but any advice is greatly appreciated.

In the few miles into and back from town as I say it was ONLY on acceleration, around the 3000 rev mark maybe, just guessing with that as I’m not a big rever and usually notice that 3 is were I’m changing gear. Sounds like Valves rattling to me. As I say the engine has a well documented oil burning problem anyway which is thought to be through the head. So with the clouds of smoke wondering if the valve seals have just suffered catastrophic failure!

Just check oil level, still were it was when I went to town and nothing untoward in the air box.

Mechanic friend who works next door to me just came and had a listen to it at idle, revved it up a bit and then stuck his nose, literally, into the exhaust pipe :o His diagnosis, ‘Definitely not diesel. Must be mechanical, take it for a run and check the oil again’ So that’s what I shall go and do now…

Tried to siphon some fuel out first but that proved impossible due to the number of bends Toyota have built into the pipe work between filler and tank! I suppose normaly that would be a good thing :rolleyes:

what colour is the smoke?

White-Grey. Same as always!

and when does it appear? Constantly? On acceleration? When lifting off/engine braking?

It was when lifting off and reaplying throttle as normal, but then also very bad on acceleration, acompanied by the rattle. Going for a run now, will take carfull note. Anything else to look for/take note off?

White-Grey. Same as always!

and is the rattle tinny or banging? tapping metal noise is usually top end and the thuddying or slower noise is usually bottom end

if its your bottom end i would go pay fensport a visit since they just rebuilt the bottom end ;)

If you can't get the fuel siphoned out the fuel tank just take off the fuel filter and check it

gen 6 tank doesn't allow you to syphon, even with the tank out of the car its still tricky to get the fuel out :(

Right driven round the block a few times including a couple 60mph blasts down the main road. Smoke was constant when first driving away from home for about a mile then only on acceleration or when coming off throttle and then picking it up again. So all pretty much as it has been for a long time now. Though I would easily say there is now a LOT more smoke. White-Grey in colour.

Took my little sound recorder out with me to try and capture it. It’s very faint on the recording, but if you turn your speakers up it is there…just. It’s at 5 seconds in on this recording. Got some others but this one is probabley clearist and not enough file allowance to upload another one :( Do sound files work through photobucket?

I would also say that its not quite as bad as it was earlier, but its still pretty noticeable both for me and anyone behind me as the noise is accompanied by a large belch of smoke from the exhaust.

130131_006.mp3

Yeh I meant just check the petrol in the fuel filter to see if it's ok or not

Any fault codes showing up

ahh got you, fuel filter is a biatch to get to on the gen 6 :D

as for the smoke mate, im pretty sure thats bad smoke, give fensport a ring and see what they say afterall the bottom end hs just been rebuilt and if its the bottom end as rich says will only get worse to the point your engine stops........and will never run again :(

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.