White smoke

Hi everyone,

Recently had a new cat installed, ever since I've noticed that there's a fair bit of white smoke coming out the exhaust, I'm not taking the car out on the road just keeping it ticking over at the moment as the radiator is shot.

I'm concerned its the gasket gone but on another forum I went on they reckon the cat on an st205 never fails.

Any thoughts?

Cheers

Edited by james.peebles

Sounds like head gasket, If the radiator is buggered you might have overheated it.

Blown gasket is characterised by clouds of steam, temp gauge all over the place, oil in the expansion tank, water in the oil, the header tank overflowing and coolant disappearing. (not necessarily all those things at once). A new cat wont cause lots of steam.

On the other hand, if you arent driving the car and only letting it tick over in cold and wet weather then the exhaust will not heat up enough to evaporate the water inside it.

For every pint of petrol burned, an engine will combust(?) a gallon of water.

A cooling system pressure test is the obvious solution but if your Rad is leaking anyway the test will probably blow it completely.

Edited by foxxy

Head gasket is very rare on a 205. If the car's not going out on the road I'd hazzard a guess the exhaust is full of water which boils off as steam.

The other thing that causes white-ish smoke is turbo oil seals on the exhaust side. Does the smoke smell of oil ? or rich mixture ? or steam ?

I wouldn't start pulling it to bits until you've at least done the rad and started driving it to see if symptoms persist. It's quite common for GT4's to issue clouds of white or grey smoke when started cold and left idling for long periods.

Ok thanks for all the responses guys the radiator is the first thing that is getting done in jan the leak is VERY small at the moment, luckily my local garage is literally 200 metres away from my house. Ive always started the car up and not let it get to temperature fully - theres been no spike in the temp gauge so im hoping everythig is ok. I shall get them to do a compression test once the radiator is squared away.

Really hoping its not the head gasket I've had so much go wrong with the car in the short space I've had it! I need a bit of good luck right now!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.