Poorly CAI

alex210191

After months of having CEL TRC and VSC lights thrown up by the CAI and supposed damaged MAF, finally got round to fitting the replacement MAF sensor today. However after 2 weeks of not looking under the bonnet I found this:

IMAG0068_zpsd4d137d8.jpg

IMAG0069_zpse6bb2d0e.jpg

For today just shoved some duct tape around it just as a temporary fix as I need to go work soon and to stop any water getting into the engine. thought id go around the block for a quick drive see if it threw up the EML and what a big surprise it did.

Going to email madmotors from where I got the CAI from and see what they can do. Best case scenario ill send it back get a new one and sell it on the club, really cant be bothered with all this hassle...maybe look to go short ram?

/rant over

Nasty.

They'll only offer something if it is still covered by a warranty is it less than a year old?

I wouldn't bother with an SRI just go back to the airbox and put a K&N panel filter in. much better.

Hiya,

Got a reply back from them saying that because they are closing for Christmas it will be sorted in the new year. They did say however it will more than likely be a replacement part, in which case ill just sell it on here. Yeah need to look into it as I dont know too much about the other options but for sure cant be bothered with the CAI

Good stuff that they will sort it for you.

Sensible move on not bothered with the replacement.

When I had my 7, I had a SRI on and it was alright, slight loss of MPG so I put the regular airbox back on with a K&N and it was better, I only did that because I was doing a lot of miles.

The SRI makes for more bling in the engine bay and a bit of noise if you haven't replaced the exhaust.

In terms of gains, there aren't any really.

I know it's different, but same sort of vibe as the PPE mainfold. Owt that's supposed to move with the engine shouldn't be fixed as far as I'm concerned, so fook knows why they design rigid securing brackets with things like this. :wacko:

:o That is really bad!

Hope a minimal amount of dirty air has entered the system, might be worth cleaning the throttle body when you remove the CAI.

Yeah its happened within 2 weeks so not good. Erm is there a guide on how to do that do you know?

Alex

Along with the split, that second tube underneath the hose needs to have a blanking plug on it as it's letting in unfiltered air into the induction pipe

All the best with a fix though. Not good to see something like this break within two weeks!

Yeah its happened within 2 weeks so not good. Erm is there a guide on how to do that do you know?

Alex

I think someone did a guide for cleaning the oil control valve a little while back, that requires complete removal of the throttle body IIRC. Just need to make sure there isnt any grime or loose dirt in there that could get sucked in.

The rubber mount on mine went twice, first time got a replacement direct from AEM. After it went the second time I sourced a rubber mount for some sort of fuel pump - it's a bit longer and has softer rubber so allows more movement/vibration.

Might be worth looking into :shrug:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.