Long shot, flat tyre, can anybody help!?

lewiso

So last night I drove home perhaps half a mile and noticed the car was pulling to the right

When I got home I checked my wheels and the front right was totally flat

Checked them out again this morning in the light hoping I might just be able to pump it up

However looking round the circumference of the wheel it's totally ruined (looks cracked all the way round, certainly doesn't look safe)

The problem is I just took my full set (including spare) to a refurb place yesterday so I have nothing to replace it with

I don't really want to buy a brand new tyre as the alloys I have on now are 18" and I'm putting the standard 16" back on after they are refurbed

I know as I type this that it is an extremely long shot but would anyone in or around gateshead/newcastle area really love to help me out??!!

Edited by lewiso

Just been for a walk and found a part worn tyre garage close by, closed today though

I wouldnt mind buying a tyre off ebay but by the time it arrives my refurbs will probably be done

How far can you drive on a flat the tyre garage is only about a 2 minutes drive, tyre has deflated completely since I pumped it up this morning so must be pretty bad!

Just been for a walk and found a part worn tyre garage close by, closed today though

I wouldnt mind buying a tyre off ebay but by the time it arrives my refurbs will probably be done

How far can you drive on a flat the tyre garage is only about a 2 minutes drive, tyre has deflated completely since I pumped it up this morning so must be pretty bad!

If you want to use the tyre again then forget driving it. If you intend just scrapping it then I would risk the drive just be very wary of pot holes as you don't wanna damage the rims :)

If you want to use the tyre again then forget driving it. If you intend just scrapping it then I would risk the drive just be very wary of pot holes as you don't wanna damage the rims :)

Would damage to the alloys be visually obvious? Just bearing in mind I drove on it last night also! They don't look damaged.... Yet!

Well the metal isn't designed to take the weight of the car so any impacts (such as a pot holes) Will cause dents and possibly buckle the wheel.

If its 2min down the road, carry it mate.

Is it likely to buckle under the weight of the car just resting on the drive until I get it sorted? If so any suggestions on how to help it out?

What a pain

If you've already driven on the tyre flat, it'll be shot.

If you can get air to stay in for 2 mins, you've got nothing to worry about. If it's flat, youll probably get away with a mile or 2 as long as you don't hit any potholes or big stones, and as long as the tyre stays between rim & road. If you hear any metalic scraping noise, that'll be the rim on the tarmac which will scuff it in no time.

Edited by _Chris_

yes there are jacking points, if you get down on hands n knees and look you'll see a bit along the sill edge with a couple of notches out of it , make sure you choc the opposite wheel on the other axle with either your choc (in your toyota kit) or a brick or something to stop risk of it rolling

and make sure the jack is on solid even ground

it is easy though, dont worry you'll soon get the hang of it

ps make sure you 'crack' (loosen) the nuts while the car is still on the ground and then when you put wheel back on after tighten them up after

Edited by arizona

yes there are jacking points, if you get down on hands n knees and look you'll see a bit along the sill edge with a couple of notches out of it , make sure you choc the opposite wheel on the other axle with either your choc (in your toyota kit) or a brick or something to stop risk of it rolling

and make sure the jack is on solid even ground

it is easy though, dont worry you'll soon get the hang of it

ps make sure you 'crack' (loosen) the nuts while the car is still on the ground and then when you put wheel back on after tighten them up after

Thanks for the advice, very much appreciated

Going to investigate what's in the boot

Annoyingly there is no jack, can I use any jack? From a friends car or something?

Edited by lewiso

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.