Unwanted attention!

Chris H72

I was pulled over by the police this morning for the first time in over 20 years. Last time I was 18 years old and acting like an idiot!

Don't get me wrong, I'm not really complaining as I was going slightly above the speed limit and the officer was well within his rights to pull me. It was in an unfamiliar town and unfortunately I didn't know I was driving in a 30 limit, just had my mind on other things. No excuse I know but all the other cars in front of me were doing 40ish and when I noticed him behind me I was checking side roads to see if they were 30. By the time I realised and slowed to 30 it was too late. He was very nice about it to be fair, gave me a lecture and let me off with a warning for which I was very grateful.

One comment did get me thinking though...

"it's a lovely car and while it must be fun to drive it fast you mustn't do on these kinds of roads." or words to that effect.

I do wonder if he would've bothered if I were driving a honda jazz or something. Also I have to wonder if he would have let me off at all if I were a youngster and the car was heavily modified!

Has anyone else noticed that they get more police attention as a result of the car they drive?

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I had my fiesta xr2i I got pulled once and the coppers exact words where "Your car caught my eye", touch wood though I'm yet to be pulled in the celica,

But what a shit excuse to pull someone, he went over the car with a torch checking everything, he was determined to get me for something but he found bugger all wrong with the car lol was a right fucker

Then another time (again in the xr2i) I got followed home by a police car and as I parked on my drive he parks at the bottom of my drive and was a really nice guy just told me to watch my speed abit it was a Saturday night and there's drunks about lol admitly he did see me fly around a round about (that thing gripped like shit to blanket) but we where talking for about 25mins lol turned out he was a ford enthusiast and he tried selling me a set of cosworth brakes that he had for his focus rs and never fitted lol

Some police can be really got some can be complete utter c**ts lol

you know Chris....I think that copper behaved in the right way.

He stopped you and gave you a telling off but didn't book you. I bet you drove a lot more consciously the rest of the day and I bet you had a lot of respect for the way he went about his job!

Kudos to that Policeman....common sense prevails.

Agree with Brian GT.

I used to get 'routine' stopped all the time, at least once a week, just because of the car I drove and the fact that there are some small-minded coppers in this small Oxfordshire town, who dont share the view that all are equal if you get my drift...

It took 2 months of photocopying producers and then sending a strong letter to the Chief Constable for the harassment to stop. Some coppers really are utter cnuts.

I also have some video of a copper stopping me for speeding whilst i was reversing into my garage hahaha. May upload it for a laugh later. :D

Edited by tabbaranx

you know Chris....I think that copper behaved in the right way.

He stopped you and gave you a telling off but didn't book you. I bet you drove a lot more consciously the rest of the day and I bet you had a lot of respect for the way he went about his job!

Kudos to that Policeman....common sense prevails.

Yes absolutely! I was extremely careful for the rest of the day and very grateful that he decided not to book me.

It was just the comment about me perhaps driving too fast because I was driving a fast car. Maybe I'm reading too much into it but that's how it sounded. Actually I was driving too fast because I wasn't concentrating on my speed. Also I'm a middle aged bloke dressed in a shirt and tie and was very apologetic. I wonder if that influenced his decision at all? Possibly not but it made me think.

I got pulled over just after i bought the car in 2010, it was 3am and i was on my way to pick a mate up as we was on our way to the airport. anyway i just set off and went past my high street when i noticed a copper sitting in the darkness i was'nt speeding or anything. i noticed that he pulled out behind me with out his head lights on, 10 seconds later he puts his headlights on, then 30 sec later he flashed his blues at me. so i pulled over and waited for him to come to my window. i put the window down and he says

" why are you out driving this time of night"?

so i explained what i was doing, he then said

" the reason i have pulled you over is to check its you driving and your car looks very disariable to be stolen"

i said

"oh right yeah its my car, do you want to see my drivers licence?"

he then said

" no its ok ive checked everything out on the computer before i pulled you over, i best let you go, have a nice holiday"

as i drove off i though why the hell did he pull me over if and already checked everything :\ but then also thought it was good of him to check it hadn't been stolen :) plus i think he just wanted to have a good look at a celica :D

I got pulled over for doing 60 in a 40, then jumping a red light

I was like 1) it's dark and you were right up my arse so I thought for once I'll speed up coz you looked like a van man in a rush, and 2, it's half 4 in the morning, its a right turn, I can see for miles if there is a car either side of the road coming from whatever direction, there was no cars, so its pointless to wait at a red light .... I said sorry, was in a rush for work, he let me off and just said make sure not to do it again

Yes absolutely! I was extremely careful for the rest of the day and very grateful that he decided not to book me.

It was just the comment about me perhaps driving too fast because I was driving a fast car. Maybe I'm reading too much into it but that's how it sounded. Actually I was driving too fast because I wasn't concentrating on my speed. Also I'm a middle aged bloke dressed in a shirt and tie and was very apologetic. I wonder if that influenced his decision at all? Possibly not but it made me think.

I think he just analysed all the facts and decided that although you had a nice fast car you weren't actually behaving like a hooligan....just not concentrating!

Officers like that can do wonders for the perceived reputation of the police.

The trouble is that for every two or three decent coppers there's a right bell end, and that's the one you tend to remember

That is sadly true these days.......

On the other hand! :)

About 30 years ago (yes i know that's a long time to some of you!!) I worked as a Toyota mechanic in a small village. I had a KE20 Corolla with 1600 Celica running gear that I used to rally. One day I was heading back to the garage which involves some nice, tight and entertaining S bends......I came through the last bend with a front wheel in the air and walking towards me was the village Plod!

I slowed down which dropped the wheel and as I looked in my mirror I saw him spin round and head towards the garage!

I parked up on the forecourt and as I got out he was walking towards me.......he stopped about 30 feet away and waved his finger in a "No..no NO" manner and then spun round and walked away.

I was bang to rights and he had me but the way he dealt with it meant that I NEVER did anything like that again in the village and I always drove sensibly from then on!

It gave me a great deal of respect for him and I didn't give him cause to worry again!

That respect for the Police lasted most of my life.

i get pulled over in my mk5 golf (modified) left, right and centre cause they seem to think im a drug dealer, its so much hassle, once they searched my whole car, took the spare wheel out and everything, once they had finished searching and didnt find a single thing, they left my car in a mess leaving me on the side of the road putting the spare wheel back etc, and just the other day i got pulled over by traffic police, said my front tints on my golf are too dark, lool i laughed at their faces and told them thats a crappy excuse to pull me over as i dont even have tints on the front windows, just the rear and then they ended up driving off

I got pulled over for doing 60 in a 40, then jumping a red light

I was like 1) it's dark and you were right up my arse so I thought for once I'll speed up coz you looked like a van man in a rush, and 2, it's half 4 in the morning, its a right turn, I can see for miles if there is a car either side of the road coming from whatever direction, there was no cars, so its pointless to wait at a red light .... I said sorry, was in a rush for work, he let me off and just said make sure not to do it again

60 in a 40 plus a red light..... If it had been pulling you over you'd be getting a ticket for the red light and breathalized at half 4 in the morning. Pointless waiting at a red light??? Tell that to the guy I had to arrange to be cut out his car when he done the same thing as you but missed the ambulance coming in the distance. Thankfully the paramedics were fine and no one else in their van at the time as they were going to a call so the only diddy injured was the clown jumping the red light....thankfully he lost his license, huge fine and 6 months for dangerous and reckless driving!

You'd be getting a warning for the speeding too only coz non traffic cars aren't calibrated for doing speed checks!

Gotta love the "early morning statistic"

Has anyone else noticed that they get more police attention as a result of the car they drive?

I'm 22 look younger (been told) my car is bright purple. Next time I get pulled over will be something like 36/7 times ... No points ... Answer to your question.

....Yes :D

Before I got my license we used to go everywhere in my mates nova... Nova full of 16 17 year old we used to get pulled a lot!!

I also used to get quite a lot in my flip painted mr2? No idea y lol? Def nothing to do with going around every round about 4 times before deciding on an exit ;)

60 in a 40 plus a red light..... If it had been pulling you over you'd be getting a ticket for the red light and breathalized at half 4 in the morning. Pointless waiting at a red light??? Tell that to the guy I had to arrange to be cut out his car when he done the same thing as you but missed the ambulance coming in the distance. Thankfully the paramedics were fine and no one else in their van at the time as they were going to a call so the only diddy injured was the clown jumping the red light....thankfully he lost his license, huge fine and 6 months for dangerous and reckless driving!

You'd be getting a warning for the speeding too only coz non traffic cars aren't calibrated for doing speed checks!

Gotta love the "early morning statistic"

Whatever you're picturing .. lol just stop, you've gone way too dramatic

Edited by Gimba

i get pulled over in my mk5 golf (modified) left, right and centre cause they seem to think im a drug dealer, its so much hassle, once they searched my whole car, took the spare wheel out and everything, once they had finished searching and didnt find a single thing, they left my car in a mess leaving me on the side of the road putting the spare wheel back etc, and just the other day i got pulled over by traffic police, said my front tints on my golf are too dark, lool i laughed at their faces and told them thats a crappy excuse to pull me over as i dont even have tints on the front windows, just the rear and then they ended up driving off

Had this many many times, they even looked in my petrol cap, and washer reservoir, and they are always disappointed when they don't find anything. In my town if you are 'of ethnic origin' and drive anything other than a taxi or something that looks like it costs more than £1k then you must be up to something. Nearly 20 years of experience of this. I never get pulled in the starlet tho lol

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.