smaller rims = cheap tyres appears to be a myth

Briano

I can get good quality tyres for my 17s in rediculous 225/45/17s for not much more than 15's or 16's

just looking for tyres for a set of gen 7 rims i have and prices are daft

225/45/17 falkens ze912 £66 each

205/50/16 falkens ze912 £58 each

205/55/15 falkens ze912 £56 each

no point in going to smaller rims the cost difference is not enough to sacrafice the grip available from the wider tyres

rant over :(

They should all be exactly the same width. The sidewall is a different percentage that's all? And there is an article on wider tyres not necessarily giving more grip. Afterall etc use different widths depending on terrain. Something to do with car is the same weight so you just end up making the contact patch wider albeit shorter than a narrower tyre. People tend to see an improvement as the rubber in wider tyres is softer than stock rubber.

Get them from farmers auto care website, if you order it online you get a discount, and all you need to do is nip to ur nearest branch and them fitted.

I disposed off my own tyres and it saved me a few extra pounds

Doesn't it have more to do with how common the size is?

205 45 17 seems to be more expensive than 215 45 17 in general. I am tempted to change to 215's as you can get better tyres for less money.

My old puma had 15 inch wheels and the Michelin pilot exaltos were 60 quid each. The same tyre for my t sport would be twice that price at least.

Yes, the size and how common it is does affect the price, suppliers buy common sizes in bulk and get a discount which they can pass on

Indeed, 10-15 years ago 17" wheels were virtually unheard of on production cars, so any aftermarket 17" alloys would cost a fortune when fitting tyres as they simply weren't made in any decent quantities, now a days it is a pretty common size, so 17" tyres have really dropped in price the last 6-7 years or so

Edited by rpsmith79

Get them from farmers auto care website, if you order it online you get a discount, and all you need to do is nip to ur nearest branch and them fitted.

I disposed off my own tyres and it saved me a few extra pounds

Thanks for leaving them in the layby Colin. Saved me a few pounds. Bit more tread though next time. lol.

no point in going to smaller rims the cost difference is not enough to sacrafice the grip available from the wider tyres

Aye, and with winter coming up you'd also lose the ability to slide around on the snow like a daftie with thinner tyres. ;)

Set of 4 space saver FTMFW :lol:

has anyone tried this - my mate has a vw camper van - rear wheel drive too - but because its on skinny tyres and all the weight (engine) is on the back - he says he never gets stuck in the snow

has anyone tried this - my mate has a vw camper van - rear wheel drive too - but because its on skinny tyres and all the weight (engine) is on the back - he says he never gets stuck in the snow

yep i used to have one :D

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.