DIY Spraying help

Insanity-74

As I am nearing the stage with my rebuild that I am ready to start the respray I dont quite know which route to take, the cost of getting it sprayed professionally is going to cost me between £2500 - £3000 and then some.

If I was to do it myself, a compressor is going to cost about £500, all the spraying equipment about £300 and the paint probably another £300 so thats just over a grand.

Last time I had a car sprayed it had to go back time and time again and was never right, I am pretty sure in my mind that no matter where I take it to, they are not going to take as much care and attention over it as I would.

I am limited for space and it would be a tight squeeze spraying in my garage, I would have to plastic sheet it out to eliminate dust etc I couldnt bake the paint.

I now most of the effort is in the prep, and I wouldnt mind that, and to some degree the paint can be improved afterwards by wet sanding etc if I bugger it up a bit.

What do people think? save some cash and do it myself or spend more money and get it done by a pro and perhaps be disappointed.

I also have the rotisserie to help with doing things like the roof etc

Any help / advice would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by Insanity-74

If you're painting a flat colour or metallic I'd have a go yourself, I'm in the middle of doing my 182 and it's coming out really well

I'd be a bit unsure about a pearl (which I'll be doing the 185 in) so may have a shop do that but as you say, if you do the prep and priming you can bring the price down a fair bit for just the mid, top and clearcoat

I've not had any direct experience but my ex resprayed her car out the back of our garage under a gazeebo. It was a bit of a nightmare for her with rain & bugs being a real problem. Got a good finish in the end though.

http://s533.photobucket.com/albums/ee335/Limeymk1/Jay/

It was done with cellulose based paint for the white and ol' Halfrauds stuff for the black roof. The compressor was only a small one and cost about £100 new, Devilbiss 75 gravity fed gun and the most important of bit an inline water trap. Only big issue she found with celly is that it is pretty inflexible when cured so will crack if plastic bits get bumped and flex.

If you're going to do it in the garage do make sure you have some decent ventilation and wear the correct RPE for the job.

do it yourself, then in future if you need anything done you have the no how and the equipment, if you never practice these things your never learn. my friend sprayed his capri and anglia in a tiny garage was a squeeze but so he says it is all in the preping and between coats make sure you LEAVE it dont fiddle about with the sprayed paint nomatter how tempting it is to just gently remove a imperfection it will end in disaster lol. goodluck if you go for it :thumbs:

I can suggest a guy ive used in the past his name is martin pattison from selby really good prices you can find him on facebook under msp autopaint tell him (Steve Airth) Sent you here his number if you want to ring him too 07930845353.

Hes always doing a wide variety of project that people bring in from classic cars to restorations of larger vehicles even jet ski's

give him a shout he may be able to help you

Steve

Do it yourself mate. Im using one of these spray gun they say it will work with small compressors just as well http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Devilbiss-Spray-Gun-StartingLine-SLG610-1-3mm-/251038834961?pt=UK_Body_Shop_Supplies_Paint&hash=item3a7314a111

Ok so its not the easiest past time but I can do it im sure you can. I recommend you use a polyester base coat due to the fact it doesnt need baking and is touch dry in minutes reducing chance of bugs and other cack settling in. The lacquer is a little harder to do same principle.

It's a huge string to have to your bow! The final spraying is easy.........everything is in the preparation.....the best sprayer in the world can't cover poor filling and sanding......it will still show!

Just make sure it's right before you spray and it will come out ok......a bit of wet sanding and buffing will make it shine like the best of them.

Can I suggest RT performance ? They resprayed my whole rear quarter and the finish is brilliant, If I ever need body work doing to my car, then Ray, Tarras and the team are the only guys I would trust with my car.

Give them a buzz mate :)

I am sure you will be able to do a good job, just if you dont and your not happy, then you might end up paying more money to put it right :S

Edited by RoryK

I'd say have a go yourself.

My faff has so many little bits that need doing I can use each section as practice, then maybe try doing a full spray at some point in the future.

I was going to rattle can the worst bits, but I do have a compressor & gravity fed gun so using them might be the way forward.

It's just a little more involved than a quick patch up though.

I think I'll have to look into what other kit will be needed.

I could do the job for £1k, cant put you up but you could find a hotel close by and spend a few days in the shop with us so you could ensure we did it right for you and you could also have a hands on approach if that helped, teach you a bit of flatting and prep and then polishing up. worth a thought, we could do the whole job in a couple of days as long as we worked the booking right.

I could do the job for £1k, cant put you up but you could find a hotel close by and spend a few days in the shop with us so you could ensure we did it right for you and you could also have a hands on approach if that helped, teach you a bit of flatting and prep and then polishing up. worth a thought, we could do the whole job in a couple of days as long as we worked the booking right.

That's very generous! I will definitely keep that in mind. Where abouts are you? The main problem is getting the car to you, the hire cost of a car transporter adds a few hundred quid to the cost.

That's very generous! I will definitely keep that in mind. Where abouts are you? The main problem is getting the car to you, the hire cost of a car transporter adds a few hundred quid to the cost.

Could try getting some quotes from shiply.com?

We got the gen 5 transported from up north down to south for £249

Great offer there from shocks :)

Always willing to help, unit is in Medway Kent ME4 5SE i dont have a transporter but must be a way of getting to hire one or loan from somebody, offer is open for as long as needed.

if you need any advice or have any questions drop me a pm or call me, business number is 01634 714710.

all the best

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.