Norfolk Police and exhaust noise

Stayed with the missus' Nan, she lives in the old people area round the back of Lidl, we didnt stay long but we are going back so Ill give you guys a shout next time I head back up there! Hopefully next time Ill be supercharged too! :D

Cool, just drop us a pm and we'll try and meet up.

I didn't think there was a noise limit on cars...?

Hmm, that also says imports can be 99db?!

Heh, my old gt4 had a 3" pipe straight from the turbo to a 4" back box with no mid section silencers. Now that was embarrassingly loud, you'd set off car alarms driving past at 1500rpm. Can't believe I actually drove it about :lol:

I didn't think there was a noise limit on cars...?

Hmm, that also says imports can be 99db?!

Heh, my old gt4 had a 3" pipe straight from the turbo to a 4" back box with no mid section silencers. Now that was embarrassingly loud, you'd set off car alarms driving past at 1500rpm. Can't believe I actually drove it about :lol:

Bet it wasn't as loud as my old MK1 Capri when the exhaust fell off where it joins the manifold lol

So this has been going on for over a month and the twats still ain't sorted it out (bet they've got no case)

If you did take it to court with all your evidence what's the worst they can do? They can't up for fine to much can they?

Heck I only got a £200 fine and 30 day ban, no points for getting caught doing over 120mph when I was 19

I did ask the question about motorcycle exhausts when the Celica was being checked. The PC said "I thought you might ask that question" (as the microphone has to be 0.2m from the ground). he basically said that "High-rise sports exhausts coul not really be checked, we can only do silencers that are close to the ground".

If you want to read the full ISO 5130 spec, here it is http://www.unece.org...B-45-inf01e.pdf It may be worth reading through just in case you get stopped by an over zealous Road Traffic Police & checked for noise.

Oh, and it's still very quiet (excuse the pun) on the Police's responce to my initial email querie. Not heard a thing. :D

Edited by Monkey Boy 1

Just had a read of the ISO and there's a good few points for the PC measuring the noise to get wrong and nullify the results.

1. the area of testing (as pointed out earlier)

2. Calibration of the device pre and post measurement (do they know how and do they remember to do it)

3. Windspeed, if there's any wind do they have the appropriate gear to measure it and if not how do they know it's under the specifies max of 5 m/s (inc gusts).

4. "The rotational speed of the engine shall be measured with an instrument meeting the specification limits of at least ± 2 % or better at the engine speeds required for the measurements being performed." Is this counted as the stock rev counter? The rev counter on my MR2 is not that accurate and I'm not in the habit of carrying my laptop for a direct reading from the ECU.

I wonder if they would have a hissy fit if you filmed the process of them checking the exhaust noise and used it in evidence for your defence.

This ones good for me:

"Caution should be exercised when measuring rear- and mid-engine vehicles because

engine and cooling-fan noise can prevent accurate measurement of exhaust noise."

The induction noise of my V6 is pretty loud. Lol

Edited by Limeymk1

One point that made my self and my boss chuckle (our dept does noise surveys) is in the requirement for a clear area within 3m it includes people. Adding a tripod/stand to the kit that the police will have to carry around to monitor to ISO standards.

i may of missed something , but the first post says 82db for uk cars , so does that mean that it doesnt apply to imports or kit cars

only reason i am asking is , on the new season of wheeler dealers they have just bought a cobra rep , with no iva test (emissions), after lots of work , they took it to vosa for its iva test and they said it had to hit under 100db (car was 97db)

it was a 350ci chevy engine with a custom vortex zorst !!!!

if this is the case i would love to have a bit of banter with norfolks finest :D jdm ftw :lol:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.