Norfolk Police and exhaust noise

There must have been an outcome by now, I hope they haven't banged him up :unsure:

For a loud exhaust? That would be the biggest fail of the century.

Then again Maybe he got really angry in court and lashed out :P

Hey guys, you can't get rid of me that quickly :D

Right, The verdict was GUILTY for having a modified exhaust system which contravenes the Road vehicles Construction & use regulations 1986. section 54 (2)

"Every exhaust system and silencer shall be maintained and efficient working order and shall not be altered so as to increase the noise made by the escape of exhaust gasses"

Which, to be honest I thought they would go for, BUT, and this is the big But, I was given a conditional discharge because the Police paperwork stated that the test was done in accordance to ISO5130 and the vehicle checked at 3/4 revs, which, by now if you have read this post from the start you will know is incorrect. They checked the car at 1500RPM too high.

The Magistrate actually knew his stuff too. The copper said the exhaust was excessively loud, The magistrate said that the pipes didn't look loud at all and were more in keeping with the looks of a Merc, Jaguar or BMW system.

The Magistrate also picked fault with the copper saying the car was Green, Magistrate said that the car is no way green, more Blue, He also picke up that the Copper got the veh. Reg incorrect..

When asked about the ISO test the copper said that he knew the ISO spec, end the Magistrate picked up on the fact that it was tested at the wrong rev range, He also asked as to why I wasn't given a 'corrective action' form to get the exhaust checked. to which the copper said that at present an MOT does not check vehicle exhaust noise.

Copper squirmed a bit when asked about how they deduce the noise result and where the 82dB and rev limit comes from. His answer was the standard "We are trained in the use of the machine and adhere to the procedures laid down by Norfolk Chief Constable.

I said that the 82dB comes from a drive-by test which is totally different to the static test and that the ISO5130 regulation actually has no defined result to work from.

Really to sum up, I didn't have to pay a fine or court costs and the Police did not have to pay compensation or court costs.

The Magistrate was really impressed with my homework and thanked me for submitting the ISO standard and the construction and use regs, and said that because the Police did the test correctly and that my car did have a non standard exhaust system but the Police paperwork was incorrect he had to give a conditional discharge.

I also found out that if your car has no rev counter they can only test at tick-over, but there is no set legislation for that, and if your car is a JDM or import you need to produce, at the roadside the SVA certificate to show it is an import.

Cheers guys for the support, even those who thought I would go down for life (Bill T), and those who thought I would be executed - (Dublet) and NO WAY am I going to share a cell with Sonic, he owns a Gen 5 for God sake :lol: It's been a long drawn out experience, not something that I really enjoyed, but now I know how the courts run.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.