Buckled wheels

can anyone tell me how you define whether a wheel is buckled or not.

I recently bought some t sport wheels and got em balanced.

2 of the wheels had quite a few balancing weights on em and tyre place said wheels were ok but needed a lot of balancing weights.

had em on the car and they felt fine.

sold em on and the buyer has mailed me to say 2 of the wheels are buckled.

spoke to someone else i know who said, if the wheels have any balancing weights on then they are classed as buckled but thats the whole idea of balancing weights, any knocks,potholes will affect the wheel so most wheels will need to be balanced after they have been used.

I'm not in the habit of selling anything dodgy, but can anyone honestly say whether a wheel is straight or not.

i'm not a mechanic and only way i had of checking the wheels was to put em on the car.

They will have been buckled

but not excessively if the tyre place could weight them

I have had buckled wheels from hitting a hole and they looked straight , until they went on the wheel machine........ the fella said if it wasnt too bad they could use weights to offset it. But mine were too far gone so he couldnt do it

When were the weights put on, and has the car been driven about since when it could of been worsened by a hole?

Edited

Just reread post, your mate was exactly right in what he told you - did the buyer expect new wheels?

Edited by arizona

Only way to test them properly is to spin them unbalanced, as in no weights on a balance machine or if you have a pole and can secure the wheels then test them like that.

All second hand t sport wheels are gonna be buckled tho as they are such a soft alloy.

sent him pics and explained the balancing weights etc, he bought em and now saying he wants his money back. he asked if they were buckled and told him i could not say as i didnt know myself. waiting back on a reply from him as i offered refund of the purchase price, not courier costs to him or back to me,

i was out all day sunday so only got his 2 messages sunday night, first one asking for refund and 2nd one saying he will go through ebay dispute if i dont reply.

people i have spoken to say ebay always favours the buyer so, offered refund of the purchase price this morning, not had a reply as yet.

They will have been buckled

but not excessively if the tyre place could weight them

I have had buckled wheels from hitting a hole and they looked straight , until they went on the wheel machine........ the fella said if it wasnt too bad they could use weights to offset it. But mine were too far gone so he couldnt do it

When were the weights put on, and has the car been driven about since when it could of been worsened by a hole?

Edited

Just reread post, your mate was exactly right in what he told you - did the buyer expect new wheels?

tbh i think a lot of ebay buyers expect items to be in brand new condition, although they buy at a 2nd hand price. (thats why i hate using it, but also know lots of scammers buy as well as sell. there is now an option to ask for a partial refund, so buyer gets money back and keeps the item.)

was always under the impression that a wheel will pretty much always need balancing due to tyre imbalances, not because the wheels are buckled otherwise you wouldn't need to get new wheels balanced when you got tyres fitted & why when you buy new alloys with tyres fitted they always say included fitting & balancing,

i was told it was the wheel balanced and not the tyre. brand new wheels dont have balancing weights.

they are usually re balanced when a tyre is fitted as, they could have been kerbed or hit a pothole etc. so may differ from previous balance.

this is it, you hear so many different options, so who is right or wrong?

Bottom line is seller bought them 2nd hand doesn't want them now cos they expected perfection from used alloys. Idiot ebayers do my head in. Tell him he will get a full refund or nothing else. Once the wheels arrive back to you release the funds.

You do right. Offer to refund on the wheels but not courier costs. If the tyre place says they have balanced them up they ate ok to run. Any tyre place that's knows their stuff will tell you when they are buckled and can't be rectified with balancing.

There's loads of T-sport wheels for sale lately, and it's been a bit of a learning curve for me. I bought a set for £180 that were seemingly refurbed. However the inside of the alloys was corroding, so I simply had to refurb all 4 at £260 (nice graphite colour now).

Given some GT wheels have just been sold for £370, if they don't need refurbing with the odd buckle - then I'm left feeling slightly annoyed. Partially because the seller didn't really reveal the inner corrosion and that I've spent over £370.

Certainly seems the deal maker or breaker is wheher you need a refurb or not. I've gotten 2 of my refurbed wheels on so far (collecting last 2 tomorrow). The tyres are fairly new ish, but they've still put loads of balancing weights on!

Edited by KrisSilver

apparently 2 were buckled and 2 ok, so ???. buyer told me to post early cos he was on holiday on friday, and still manged to put em the car, go get em balanced and email me saturday, sunday and today so, told him i was a little sceptical but send em back and i will refund purchase price. so im gonna relist em with an extensive list of info.

i was told it was the wheel balanced and not the tyre. brand new wheels dont have balancing weights.

they are usually re balanced when a tyre is fitted as, they could have been kerbed or hit a pothole etc. so may differ from previous balance.

this is it, you hear so many different options, so who is right or wrong?

taken after a quick search to find out Craig

"Wheel Balance: Out-of-balance tires will cause a car to vibrate at certain speeds, usually between 50 and 70 mph. A tire is out of balance when one section of the tire is heavier than the others. One ounce of imbalance on a front tire is enough to cause a noticeable vibration in the steering wheel at about 60 mph. To balance a wheel, the technician will mount it on a balancing machine which spins the wheel to locate the heavier part. He will then compensate for the heavy part by attaching a lead weight on the opposite side. Many people are pleasantly surprised at how smooth their car drives after balancing all four wheels.

Most high quality tires will hold their balance fairly well and go out of balance very gradually. If you notice a vibration that wasn't there the day before, it is possible that one of the lead balancing weights fell off. If you feel the vibration mostly in the steering wheel, the problem is most likely in a front wheel. If the vibration is mostly in the seat, the problem is probably in the rear.

For those of you who are very sensitive about vibrations and your shop can't seem to get that last bit of vibration out, check to see if you have locking wheel lugs. Some locking lugs are as much as 1.5 ounces heavier than the other lug nuts which translates to about 1/2 ounce at the wheel rim. Try putting a 1/2 ounce weight opposite the locking lug and see if it helps."&

no brand new wheels without tyres fitted don't have balancing weights , but if you get them with tyres fitted they do as they have to balance them due to the tyres being out of balance

Edited by sh3p

If he has fitted new tyres - then he needs to get them balanced.

Even if you take a tyre off and put it back on - it still needs balancing. Unless you can get the tyre in the exact position that it was balanced in. The tyre and the wheel need to be balanced together - the compound of the tyre is not uniform - the cheaper the tyre the more balancing they normally require

Surely, if he asked if they are buckled and you replied with you're not sure, that was his own risk to take, you never said they are or they are not, I wouldnt offer a refund and just say you never said they wernt buckled, plus they are 2nd hand

+, how do you know he isnt gonna send his own dodgy ones back and claim they were the ones you sent

also, in your ebay listing, did you change the "allow refunds" option

Edited by Gimba

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.