Low Compression on all Cylinders

Today i have been trying to diagnose my recent engine problems, so i did a compression test, but the results are all really low across all cylinders

100, 100, 105, 105

What does this mean, i know they should be around the 160-170 mark, they are all close, but all really low

The only thing i can think that would cause this is incorrect timing, either that or simultaneous failures across all cylinders (which is highly unlikely)

Any other ideas welcomed

If I’m right you are running that standard head gasket you got off me plus you’ve had the head skimmed. Have you tried a few drops of oil down your bores when you did the compression test, its either going to be ring/bore or cam/valve issue, what state where your bores and pistons in? Dorris

Edited by Dorris

What are your symptoms ?

Did they appear suddenly, or get gradually worse ?

If suddenly, did something happen at the same time (e.g. overheating) or was there maintenance just before (e.g. new cambelt) ?

Initial thoughts are:

1. Incorrect results - faulty tester / should have been done with wide open throttle and about 5 engine cycles. Battery should have been turning over at a good cranking speed.

2. Slightly bent valves after cam belt failure or cam belt timing out causing interference. Or burnt valves after running with very retarded ignition timing.

3. Damaged pistons / rings likely after overheating.

p.s. after reading other replies, looks likely it's not piston/ring issue.

What are your symptoms ?

Did they appear suddenly, or get gradually worse ?

If suddenly, did something happen at the same time (e.g. overheating) or was there maintenance just before (e.g. new cambelt) ?

Initial thoughts are:

1. Incorrect results - faulty tester / should have been done with wide open throttle and about 5 engine cycles. Battery should have been turning over at a good cranking speed.

2. Slightly bent valves after cam belt failure or cam belt timing out causing interference. Or burnt valves after running with very retarded ignition timing.

3. Damaged pistons / rings likely after overheating.

Could be onto something here, i was running at 0 degrees for the first few hundred miles due to a mix up when initially setting the timing

A bit of background info, this was a reconditioned engine that was fitted at the tail end of last year, it was running fine but has now developed a rattle at high revs, and does seem to be lacking in power, previously it had been running fine

10 degrees retarded and light throttle probably wouldn't be enough. I was thinking more the forgetting to lock the dizzy and then full throttle keeping the car running at -40 or so.

Normally low compression would show worst symptoms at idle / low RPM.

What sort of rattle ? Does it change with throttle position ? Can you post a recording / video ?

The rattle is only when on throttle, and a brief rattle on cold start

Possibly big ends or piston slap, but could be other things. If you get loud rattle for a couple of seconds on cold start before oil pressure gets up I'd say big ends. Did the engine get run short of oil ?

ok my imput is this ,,, are you sure the readings are right ? skimmed head means more compression , gasket well your gunna notice its uber thick to reduce it that much , seems to me the reading could be wrong given its across the entire range and the engines running ok , can you borrow another gauge from somewhere

Yeah, i really need to check with a different gauge i think

But as said, it all started with hearing the rattle and feeling of slight loss of power, and then checking the compression is the first and easiest thing to do

Sorry to say it but sounds like a big end issue to me. My starlet did it, rattle on startup and at about 2500-300rpm but sounded like the top end. It sounded like I had left a spanner on the rocker cover lol. Used oil and was down on power.

Went with Steve (silversurfer) to go get him a new engine for his 140 (death rattle) and one for mine (got one with 29k miles on), turned out to be great timing as mine gave way on the way home :(

I hope not Hou :(

I had another good listen to it today after work, and i'm 90% sure it's coming from the top end

But i think i may have sourced myself a spare engine, just need to wait till it's available and figure out how/where i'm going to fit it

I was certain mine was top end too, took it toyota who reckoned it was piston gudgeon pins, all I know is that when it let go you could limp it home but plumes of smoke out of the back and it was knocking it's ass off

Looks like the engine is goosed, Dom reckons bottom end has gone :(

I have got an engine lined up, but it won't be available for a few weeks at least, then the fun of fitting it

get bek to fit it ,does them in his sleep now..

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.