Pulled over for "excessive noise"

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

mines between 100-110db, never been pulled, but then again its been off the road more times than its been on since ive owned it, my mates girlfriend got pulled the other week by the poilce with DVLA saying her exhaust was far too loud and it needed to be change, and she had to get a new MOT, thing is, her exhaust isnt noticably different to a standard car

I think the trick is to drive quietly past the 5-0.

I didn't think there was a set, hard and fast limit. I just thought it had to be in keeping when the car? So my classic rally car is allowed to make more noise than a corsa :D

yeah everytime i come close to a cop car i drop the clutch, my car is almost hearse quiet on idle adn once past just open it back up again

Oh poop now I am a bit worried, mine is a bit loud, err actually very loud, to the point that my mate in a VX220 could only hear my engine over his, the other day, especially the dump valve.

My work has a calibrated DB meter, I think I need to check how loud mine is:

What RPM should the car be held at?

Normally H&S use the DB meter at 1m away from source at a vertical incline of 45deg is this also true on a car?

What is the maximum legal DB level a car can output on HM roads?

Actually thinking about it mine sailed through the MOT so is this picked up by MOT stations?

I only ask the questions because I live 2 miles from Norfolk Police HQ, and so far they all look at me.... a lot

N

Edited by NinjaNeil

On my last MOT i got an advisory for a loud exhaust which it never had on three previous MOT's. The exhaust is in A1 condition and is stainless all the way through so couldn't understand why now it's classed as loud, but it passed the MOT and i have never been pulled over.

I agree with ORC on this one 150DB is stupid amounts and i am pretty sure not even Moto GP bikes produce 150DB....

150DB would make his ears bleed.

I was in my mates lightly modified Pug 306 when he got pulled for his exhaust.

Took 2 readings, the first one clocking 90/91db, at 3500rpm, the second clocking at 89db at 4000rpm. Got a £30 fine and asked to swap the exhaust. The cop was so determined to nick him, he didn't even notice that a numberplate light was out which he could of got a warning or something for. Just shows how narrow track minded cops are.

Quite a few of my other mates have got done for even louder exhausts, one clocking 150db!

The only thing was none of the japanese cars were pulled over for 'excessive noise'... seems weird really as then its quite unfair, though im not complaining :D

It almost certainly won't be 150db. Unless your mates vehicle is a plane. The average comercial jet liner only makes 150db at a push and that's at take off, EuroFighter Typhoon goes to between 140 and 180db dependent on whether they bang it onto full reheat.

ORC sums it up well, it wouldn't necessarily make your ears bleed but you would be deaf as soon as you drove it.

Ok so I was pulled over tonight, I am the first one to admit my exhaust is far too loud but my question is, when I was chatting to the police man (real nice guy if I'm honest) he bought out a laminated sheet of some document or another that states

"an exhaust shall not be changed after the date of manufacture for an item that is louder or allows more exhaust gas to escape"

Does this sound right right? Seems a bit suspect to me?

I spent some time chatting to him and put it to him, "how do company's like powerflow and longlife get around this then?"

His answer baffles me "it's not illegal to sell after market exhaust systems just illegal to use them"

He kept telling me I would have to put a standard exhaust on to comply!! I am taking the car in next week to get it quietened down as much as possible so we will see if mr pc plod is happy with that?

Any thoughts?

Seth

mine failed the mot for the exhaust for the same reason. bought a bung from ebay and passed no probs.never been pulled once tho and mine is loud.

My exhaust is a bit of a frankenstien jobby, Powerflow front, Rear belived to be either Mongoose or Blue Flame, standard gen 6 manifold. Im well happy with it, Volume pretty much like standard unless you hit the kick down then it sounds the part. Straight though last MOT without problem. Never been pulled in that car yet.

Well mines in for it's MOT today - 5th one with the HKS Silent Hi-Per on it so not had any issues in the past.

According to this chart (http://www.hkseurope...apps/toyota.htm), the stock exhaust if 85db, the HKS one is 98db. It is JASMA approved and meets the strict noise limits there......

Well car went in today to have a middle box put on to make it more police friendly :lol:

After an hour I get a call saying they can't touch it because it's 3" and they can only do 2.5" lol

Sooooo I've now ordered some bungs from eBay to see if they do the trick? Anyone got experience with bungs?

S

Well car went in today to have a middle box put on to make it more police friendly :lol:

After an hour I get a call saying they can't touch it because it's 3" and they can only do 2.5" lol

Sooooo I've now ordered some bungs from eBay to see if they do the trick? Anyone got experience with bungs?

S

yeah ive got one. used it to get it passed the mot. it failed at two mot test stations for being to loud before i got the bung. got a full powerflow system on mine its just a bit loud :D just drill a small hole in the end of your tailpipe and use a screw to hold it in place.

Ok so the bungs don't fit lol

Soooo I've booked the car into infinity exhausts near bristol and he's going to redo the rear of my exhaust to quieten it down and make it sound sweet!! Roll on the 7th july

Ok so the bungs don't fit lol

Soooo I've booked the car into infinity exhausts near bristol and he's going to redo the rear of my exhaust to quieten it down and make it sound sweet!! Roll on the 7th july

Cool. Drop me a line if you like and we can meet up.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.