Misting up on inside of car.

CelicaChez

Could try some silica gel (or a tray of salt lol) in the car to see if that helps?

Yes that is a good idea thanks for that ;) it is all very well in being told to put air con on and it will clear but I do want to try and stop it happening really :D

I have always found that smoking in a car makes this happen more. The way I resolve it is to use a microfibre cloth or chammy, almost dry, to wipe the windscreen. Then blast heat on it with the windows open. The windows do still steam up but much less than usual. When you are freezing cold in your car and you put the heating on you need to cool down the inside of the car or it will steam up next time you get in. I always leave the windows open for the last minute of a drive home... unless its raining.

I've put a thing plastic windscreen cover sheet on the front the past few nights and it's made such a difference. The seals at the top of the windows, and/or around the windscreens are clearly not that good.

Another thing noticed this morning in the freeze was the boot was almost frozen shut, and would not close and lock properly. I had to drive 25 mins to work with the dash stating it as open, hearing it slightly - and it finally shut at work once thawed out more. I've put tapes on the boot catch to stop rattling, and lube around the catches and seals.

Definitely seems to be the problematic area's just not sure what do with them.

Don't need to do ANYTHING other than have it set to this:

post-11012-0-04054800-1326811861_thumb.jpg

Drive with that on and maybe the blower set to 1 or 2 and that will stop mistyness.

The only thing that causes misty windows is damp stale air being in the cabin, using that setting stops that as it's constantly fresh air.

If you've got bad mist in the car when you get in, that's when sticking the heater on full whack is needed, air con will speed up the demisting as it's 'treated' air that's dryer than what you might be sucking in from the outside.

I'd assume that the recirculate button allows a certain amount of air in then keeps recirculating it, whereas the other button opens up all the vents and allows a constant stream of crispy fresh air

Yes and that is what you need. If you re-circ air it will be getting more and more moisture in from your breath.

So is it to re-circ or not to re-circ, to stop the misting, that is the question :P

My 7 only has a button to re-circulate internally. There's no button to specify external so I assumed it was fully on that by default. Is that not the case?

If it is external it is the middle button in the circle of other buttons and it shows the pic of the windscreen ;)

So is it to re-circ or not to re-circ, to stop the misting, that is the question :P

If it is external it is the middle button in the circle of other buttons and it shows the pic of the windscreen ;)

That's the front windscreen air flow selector. What was meant was the internal/external air selector. I.e. where the air's coming from, not going to.

The 7 has a button to recirculate internally. But no specific button to draw externally !?!

Edited by KrisSilver

The manual control aircon for celica g7 have a switch that can be place to either rigth or left... keep it left and it will recirculate, keep it right and it will allow air from outside, not sure with the Auto climate control thou... With regards to the windscreen and rear window, I think it's more to the angle of the glass. it's so slant that ice can easily build up and create little frost inside at times... Reason why the sides don't usually have this as it's more vertical... I just set my ventilation to concentrate on the windscreen and heating on... 5mins and it's clear... then adjust it to moderate after...

CelicaChez, I am in Bristol, and its a really damp part of the world... Do you use your air con when youre driving? Mine needs a regas and at the moment I have to pop the window down for a minute or two every so often to clear the car.

I think its been said already, but use the air con, fresh air in and heat and it should go away. I have had a few Jap cars and they do tend to steam up, probably because they are well built and dont leak, and retain all the moisture youre breathing out, rather than water coming in...

If you turn off the recirc then the default is to drag in outside air.

To test this, get up close behind a bus and turn the switch off, if youre choking on diesel fumes, its working fine! :P

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.