New MOT failures

Not sure if this has already been posted, but just to let you all know the ministry has added aload of new items for your car to fail on, that previously would've been an advisory or not mentioned at all!

ANYTHING obstructing or altering beam pattern from your headlights, ie tinting, eyebrow spoilers, etc....

Coloured bulbs

ANY suspension component dust cover, such as ball joints, innner c.v boots, etc split (whether there's play or not)

ALOT stricter on condition of seatbelts and fuel lines

Towbar electrics are now part of the mot as are the mounting points for the towbar bracket

There's a few other minor bits but thats all i can remeber for now!

Hope this helps!

I still love the rule if its not there you cant be failed on it

my car gets tested with no back seats or belts, no spare wheel, fog lights removed, I even have a set of wheels just for MOT time with brand new crap tyres :P I have also binned my ABS bulb

personally though if the MOT tester told me i needed a new seatbelt i would be phoning toyota safety items dont come from breakers :thumbs:

my car gets tested with no back seats or belts, no spare wheel, fog lights removed, I even have a set of wheels just for MOT time with brand new crap tyres :P I have also binned my ABS bulb

:thumbs:

spare wheel and front fogs lights are not part of the test

ABS to be tested properly - the bulb should come on with ignition, illuminate for a number of seconds and then turn off - depends on if your tester spots that you have an ABS pump though!

so no definitive section of rules on retro fitted HIDS then ?

My PIAA sidelights have a slight blue tint when they shine through the projector lens, but take them out the housing and the MOT tester I use agrees that they are a pure white light... will be interesting to see how strict he has to be come the next MOT on the Gen6.

I still need to look at getting new webbing on one of the RA28 seatbelts as there is a 1.5cm cut in one of them.

so no definitive section of rules on retro fitted HIDS then ?

My PIAA sidelights have a slight blue tint when they shine through the projector lens, but take them out the housing and the MOT tester I use agrees that they are a pure white light... will be interesting to see how strict he has to be come the next MOT on the Gen6.

I still need to look at getting new webbing on one of the RA28 seatbelts as there is a 1.5cm cut in one of them.

The rules on HID's as far as I am aware. Is that they are legal if your car has got headlight washer jets.

If you retro fit them onto a UK facelift gen6 for example, then that is fine as they came with the headlight washer system, so they can't fail it.

But if you fit it to say a gen7 that has no headlight washers then it can be an MOT fail depending on if your MOT guy knows every single rule or not.

so no definitive section of rules on retro fitted HIDS then ? My PIAA sidelights have a slight blue tint when they shine through the projector lens, but take them out the housing and the MOT tester I use agrees that they are a pure white light... will be interesting to see how strict he has to be come the next MOT on the Gen6. I still need to look at getting new webbing on one of the RA28 seatbelts as there is a 1.5cm cut in one of them.

My silvered winkers are the same and tester pointed this out. Look blue though the lens, pure orange when on. original ones are in my glove box so got away with it.

It's all just another way for the suits to remove all old cars and replace with cardboard boxes to be driven by people with no souls who incidently wear suits. BORING!

oi I wear a suit and im far from boring, I honestly think our MOT should be more like japan and servicing your car shoudl be compulsary unlike the 4 year old boxes on the road that arent serviced because the owner knows they will jsut be punting it for another new horrid box

HIDs don't require anything (washers or levellers) for MOT - its another of those 'if its there, it must work; if not, don't fail it' items.

Not sure where the comment about eyebrows came from? They'd only fail if they severely restricted the light output, which has always been the case.

Trailer sockets are only tested for security (i.e. not hanging off :lol:) and only the 13-pin one is tested for functionality. Car wiring as a whole is checked too now, as is battery security. So make sure your battery is secure and wiring isn't (visibly) dangling around loose!

HIDs don't require anything (washers or levellers) for MOT - its another of those 'if its there, it must work; if not, don't fail it' items.

Not sure where the comment about eyebrows came from? They'd only fail if they severely restricted the light output, which has always been the case.

Trailer sockets are only tested for security (i.e. not hanging off :lol:) and only the 13-pin one is tested for functionality. Car wiring as a whole is checked too now, as is battery security. So make sure your battery is secure and wiring isn't (visibly) dangling around loose!

A bit more for thought.

The presence and operation of these headlamp cleaning and levelling devices has been added to the test. Therefore, if a mandatory headlamp levelling or cleaning device is missing, inoperative or otherwise obviously defective, the vehicle will fail.

This raises the question of whether these checks apply to vehicles fitted with after-market HID lighting kits., in order to pass the MOT test, vehicles fitted with

The testing directive says the devices have to be fitted and working, and the inspection manual states how to test if they are fitted. The testing directive (which determines the pass/fail elements of the MOT) is what will be followed.

In regard to the new headlight regulations "headlight washers must be present and working when tested on any HID or LED headlight which produces over 2000 lumens". Also "most of these systems generally require a self levelling device". Some self levellers will (when the headlights are first illuminated) move up and down to set themselves in the correct position, others will not. The only way to test the systems which don't move upon initial illumination, to see if they are working, would be to jack up the front or back of the car, disturbing the balance of the car, cause the activation of the self levellers. As this is not practical, and therefore not testable, it has been decreed that "if the tester is not sure if the system is not working the benefit of the doubt should be given to the presenter of the vehicle".

A bit more for thought.

The presence and operation of these headlamp cleaning and levelling devices has been added to the test. Therefore, if a mandatory headlamp levelling or cleaning device is missing, inoperative or otherwise obviously defective, the vehicle will fail.

This raises the question of whether these checks apply to vehicles fitted with after-market HID lighting kits., in order to pass the MOT test, vehicles fitted with

The testing directive says the devices have to be fitted and working, and the inspection manual states how to test if they are fitted. The testing directive (which determines the pass/fail elements of the MOT) is what will be followed.

In regard to the new headlight regulations "headlight washers must be present and working when tested on any HID or LED headlight which produces over 2000 lumens". Also "most of these systems generally require a self levelling device". Some self levellers will (when the headlights are first illuminated) move up and down to set themselves in the correct position, others will not. The only way to test the systems which don't move upon initial illumination, to see if they are working, would be to jack up the front or back of the car, disturbing the balance of the car, cause the activation of the self levellers. As this is not practical, and therefore not testable, it has been decreed that "if the tester is not sure if the system is not working the benefit of the doubt should be given to the presenter of the vehicle".

Hallelujah, finally :clap:

Looks like UK Gen 5's & 6's might get away with HID's though as they both have headlight washers

Hmm, wording of the manual that I've seen regarding HID (section 1.7 Headlamps) states:

Vehicles equipped with High Intensity Discharge (HID) or LED dipped beam headlamps may be fitted with headlamp washers and a suspension or headlamp self levelling system.

Where such systems are fitted, they must work; however, it is accepted that it may not be possible to readily determine the functioning of self levelling systems. In such cases, the benefit of the doubt must be given.

which says you 'may' have washers and levellers and if there, they must work. Doesn't say you must have them. And in the method of testing:

Where HID or LED dipped beam headlamps are fitted, switch on the headlamps and check the operation of any headlamp levelling and cleaning devices fitted.

^ which to me reads as 'if they're fitted, test them' not 'test IF they're fitted'.

The only related reason for rejection is this one:

2.A headlamp levelling or cleaning device inoperative or otherwise obviously defective.

Again, doesn't say it requires it just that if its there and not working, it causes a fail.

Its a bit like the windscreen thing - if its damaged, then fail; but if its been removed or there is no screen then its not a fail. :lol: Also as a comparison, the exhaust section has been amended to explicitly state a catalytic converter is required if the car originally had one ("A catalytic converter missing where one was fitted as standard").

http://www.motuk.co.uk/manual_170.htm is the source for headlight gubbins.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.