Stick on Number plates

RoryK

Just looked at a couple of laws, Road Vehicles (Display of Registration Marks) 2001 says:

(3) This paragraph requires the plate to be fixed—

(a)vertically or, where that is not reasonably practicable, in a position as close to the vertical as is reasonably practicable,

(b)in such a position that in normal daylight the characters of the registration mark are easily distinguishable from every part of a relevant area having the diagonal length specified in paragraph (4).

(4) The diagonal length of the relevant area is—

(a)in the case of a mark having characters the width of which is at least 57 millimetres, 22 metres,

(b)in the case of a mark having characters the width of which is 50 millimetres, 21.5 metres,

©in the case of a mark having characters the width of which is 44 millimetres, 18 metres.

Its interpretation of the 'as close to the vertical as reasonably practical' that could be a stopper for those who stick them on bonnets etc.

BTW, "relevant area" is an imaginary square leading out from the corner of the reg plate, diameter as specified. "Relevant date" is 01/10/38 which I'm pretty sure covers all Celicas :lol:

Rory, you'll want to fill the holes in the front bumper in before you apply your sticker mate, trust me!

Wayne (Brinkz) has a stick on plate on the front and first time he got up to motorway speed it punched right through the stickers so the holes are still visible. Just stick a bit of plastic into the back of the bumper to cover the holes then filler them up and sand off smooth. If you mark out where your new plate will sit before-hand then you can make sure you don't get any filler/sanding which is visible once the sticker is on.

This is something I'm going to have a go at too at some point so I'll be interested to see how you get along. Hope that helps mate

I hate the DVLA laws sections, the majority of the rules are so flawed lol. They never make sense and always leave you feeling more confused then before. I put my order in with mook anyway so I will let you all know if I am pulled over lol.

Yeh I was going to fill in the holes with abit of FG and filler then sand, prime and paint. Gonna have to wait until the sun starts shining again though :/ I hate the winter season.

Yours looks very tidy Liam with that plate on the front, I have been meaning to debrick it since I bought it but never got round to it until now lol.

Edited by RoryK

Rory, you'll want to fill the holes in the front bumper in before you apply your sticker mate, trust me!

Wayne (Brinkz) has a stick on plate on the front and first time he got up to motorway speed it punched right through the stickers so the holes are still visible. Just stick a bit of plastic into the back of the bumper to cover the holes then filler them up and sand off smooth. If you mark out where your new plate will sit before-hand then you can make sure you don't get any filler/sanding which is visible once the sticker is on.

This is something I'm going to have a go at too at some point so I'll be interested to see how you get along. Hope that helps mate

Hmm, the holes on the bumper might be an issue for myself as I fancy this stick on plate but to the near side part of the bumper.

If any of you do this to a gen 7 get some pics up, I think I'll have a look at the holder myself this weekend.

Hmm, the holes on the bumper might be an issue for myself as I fancy this stick on plate but to the near side part of the bumper.

If any of you do this to a gen 7 get some pics up, I think I'll have a look at the holder myself this weekend.

I am going to be doing this myself, but as I want to spray and blend I am going to wait until it gets abit warmer, I dont have the luxuries of infrared lights :/

holes on the bumper are no big deal,

I filled mine with a tiny bit of filler, then sanded adn walloped plate on, remember you dont need to repaint as its getting covered so just sanding it is enough :thumbs:

I want mines offset to the side (evo style). maybe painting screws/bolts and putting them back might look ok, or stainless ones, not sure :(

Can you see mine from the pic? Would also like a stick on one as mine is currently velcro-ed on and has come off a few times! Pretty sure it has already been smoothed off too, would just take forever to get the Velcro strips off.

First gen 7 to do this please post a pic!

I think if you take the front black plate holder off a Gen 7,as well as leaving the screw holes behind there were a couple of larger holes behind the holder too so a sticker plate may sink into it and not sit flush?

Actually, I don't think they're illegal as long as the spacing and format is correct according to the Regs.

(But I could be wrong ;))

they have to be reflective, don't they? :wacko::shrug:

my front plate is just stuck on without the black plastic bracket thing... not sure what sticky pads Edd used, but it's not moved since I bought the car in Sept.

my rear is bolted on as usual.

not the best pic, but you get the idea:

DSC03273.jpg

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.