Stick on Number plates

RoryK

I know they are not road legal, but who has them and have you had any grief ?

I want to debrick my 7, but before I go ahead and order some new plates and some decent adhesive strips I thought I would ask about stick on plates, they look cool as fuck B)

When I had my KA one of mind fell off lol, luckily I just pulled up down our garage then it fell, could of gone in the road easily.

My celica has a stuck on one on the back, it looks safe and I have gave it a good pulling, but I thought that about my KA :\, I'm gonna bolt it on soon, its safer and you don't have to worry about it falling off

i was gonna stick my new ones on but because the holes were already there i opted to screw in, mine doesnt have the black plate holder on front and curve of front bumper will pull a straight plate away from the sticker, the back should be ok, as it is flat, if your gonna stick em i would try and mould/bend the front plate to try and get it curved to fit flush to the front bumper.

Actually, I don't think they're illegal as long as the spacing and format is correct according to the Regs.

(But I could be wrong ;))

My boss has a rear one on his navara and it came out of nissan like that so i very much doubt that it is illegal,

the fact that it "fell off" cough a year ago probably is.

I think people are getting confused between sticking plates on, and sticker plates :lol:

Sitcking plates on is fine, so long as you use a decent adhesive (and of course that the plates themselves conform to requirements). Never had any problems with any of mine.

As for sticker plates... hmm. I think - I could be wrong here, so await correction :lol: - they're one of those things where there is no law that directly says "sticker plates are baaad, mkay" so as long as they conform to all the regulations they would be Ok. However as its too easy for people to get their own kits and crack out whatever number plate they wanted, the authorities try and make out like they're illegal to save them hassle :lol:

I think you are bang on there Razrojack, Think I will give this more though, I do want a square plate, but I hate the standard UK size, its massive and looks stupid :/ More like a trimmed down version but then thats illegal :/

I was thinking about doing something with the plate also, I was going to put a 3/4 size on the back but its bolted on at the ends so I guess there would be holes left, I thought about having the front plate to the left (like an evo) but I realise there is plate holder, thus I really can't be bothered.... which is annoying as the front plate spoils the look of the car, take it off completely and you will see what I mean.

Just take your front bumper plate holder off completely and put a sticker plate on instead. I'm sure Mook does legal sized reflective front plates.

Nice one GrayRacer, Ill drop him a PM :D This is what I had in mind.

I have used one of mooks on both my Gen 6's, mine are both 85% full size so a little smaller than standard.

Never had a problem with mine passed mot's and inspections fine, although as far as I am aware since about 2007 stick on number plates are illegal on anything other than older tax exempt cars? Its a grey area though, but I always have my standard UK size plate in the boot.

336b8221.jpg

im an mot tester,

theyre not illegal,just normally fitted wrong.

1. A registration plate;

a. missing

b. so insecure that it is likely to fall off

c. letter or figure missing or incomplete

d. Faded, dirty, deteriorated or obscured, (for example by a towbar so that it is likely to be misread or is not easily legible to a person standing approximately 20 metres to the front/rear of the vehicle.

a. letters and figures obviously not correctly spaced

b. a letter or figure not correctly formed or likely to be misread

c. a letter or figure which is obviously not of equal width along its entire length.

roughly,there are a few more,sure theres a bit about it being as close to verticle as possible

hope that helps :thumbs:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.