Mechanic/Tool Advise

mani

I had to think long and hard if this was O/T or G/D so my mind said it was G/D

anyhoo, I took my wife's car for its MOT today and got chatting with the garage owner, when i told him i could do all mechanical work and was looking for a job he offered to put me through a MOT tester course and hire me. now i have a few things i need advise with.

firstly...where's the best place to buy tools from.

secondly (THIS IS IMPORTANT)

I want to buy a engine code reader for various applications. which is the best tool to buy. i cannot spend more than say £40-£50. are our celica's OBD-II ?? i saw this on e-bay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370563600325

I need advise quick.

thanks

Congrats on the Job offer.

What tools do you need? Halfords do a pro range.

But if I had the money I'd have a set of Snap On tools.

Gen7's have OBD11's and some of the very late Gen6's JDM fitted with Beams engines. Most Toyotas from '99 on have OBD11's to.

Also 2nd the Halfords "Advanced" range formally the professional range guaranteed for life & whoever you speak to if you should break anything don't care if you have maybe been a little over zealous with it,

unlike the snap-on representative who i believe will have to send it back to get the warranty & he will always try to sell you more, sry but seen too many take advantage of young apprentices ( not that you are) & put them in debt for tools they just don't need:(

That all said they are good tools but have had my Halfords professional socket set for 13yrs+ & still going strong used in forklift industry daily

Snap on are the best available for fit and long term performance. They tend not to break in the first place.

Lifetime guarantee, but not their mugs. :)

Halfords pro have lifetime guarantee but the moving parts so ratchets, no, but most managers WILL replace if you are decent with them.

Various others are very good, Facom, Britool, Draper, Mac etc.

Diagnostics? Now there's a minefield.

NO MACHINE will read all cars. Some read more codes on more cars than others.

I have a Launch c reader 5, reads most of the modern cars that I see, most functions.

Recommended by my MOT station who did a lot of research on the things, they also have the big X431, almost 3k worth.

C reader 5 is abot £60.

There is a C reader 6 about £120, colour screen and supposedly faster, but for what I need the machine for, the 5 is fine.

Doesn't read Gen 6 Celica, dunno if anything does.

buy snap-on - buy their spanners and sockets- you can put a 4 foot pipe on a 10inch spanner and it wont break, expensive but well worth the money - they will last you a lifetime.

Wouldn't buy their air tools though - have 4 air guns at a cost of £400+ each all packed up within 2 years - they wont repair them or swap them, now resorted to buying £100 air guns and if they last a year then ill just replace them.

Halfords pro stuff is very very good, I've had my kit for over a year now and the only bit that has got any damage on it is one of the hex bits....but I was BRUTALLY rough with it...and it doesn't matter as you get a life time guarantee to replace any bits that break. So I'd go down that route and save yerself a few quid :)

I got the Halfords Advance range last time it was on sale, very impressed with it and i;ve been quite harsh with it while fixing up an old tractor over the summer and it coped with everything, only thing that has broken is the case :lol: hmm wonder if halfords will replace that

buy snap-on - buy their spanners and sockets- you can put a 4 foot pipe on a 10inch spanner and it wont break, expensive but well worth the money - they will last you a lifetime.

Wouldn't buy their air tools though - have 4 air guns at a cost of £400+ each all packed up within 2 years - they wont repair them or swap them, now resorted to buying £100 air guns and if they last a year then ill just replace them.

thats why you need a chicago pneumatics air gun ;)

Edited by joffryjones

Halfords Pro Kit is good stuff, however it is not especially comprehensive. I bought Draper Expert sets because they had a better range and although they have taken a beating and professional use, they still don't get Extreme abuse, so are fine for my purposes. I think if you're looking at this as an investement then Snap on or Elora for the more exotic stuff and halfords for the general use?

You can never bhave enough 8mm, 10mm or 17mm sockets, and spanners - they're alwyas the ones that go missing!

Edited by Alan Clogwyn

always found halfords actuall sockets to be good but the ratchets are pants. I have a few snap-on ratchets and a mix of spanners and socketsets

pretty sure i have at least 5 10mm sockets :D

also im sure someone else was talking about tools recently......dont buy a cheap breaker bar make sure you get a good quality one :thumbs:

Also mani good luck budy :D

The diag reader looks fine, but don't think it's Universal, as stated.

No one machine will read all cars.

No one machine will access all areas of car.

eg, my C Reader does not recognise Rover 25 2002 model, but when you tell the machine to clear the engine management light it does it.

My mate gave a me £180 Autel, it cannot see the Rover and can't reset the light.

The Autel works with more cars though.

is the job just for mot testing?? if so then you wont need any tools to just do mot's. Also have you any motor trade qualifications?? as i'm pretty sure you will need some to take the nominated tester course with vosa. Also from one of the posts above, i wouldn't buy anything from scoobyworld as i've just been made redundant from there so i dont reckon they'll be going for much longer so you wont have much of a warranty if they aren't.

yea am going for an MOT tester, but i will also be doing mechanical work. I spoke to the garage owner and he said as i have a degree in automotive engineering, i only need to take a one day training course.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.