friend at work fancies this GT..

Mr Rizla

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201135413298587/sort/priceasc/usedcars/transmission/automatic/model/celica/make/toyota/postcode/gu147gd/page/1/radius/100?logcode=p

Hi, Friend at work thinking of getting the above GT, i know its hard to tell from an advert but what are your initial thoughts..

much appreciated

Ken

My first thought too was yuk its an auto (limits resale as not many people want them)

Then long mot (how long do they call long?) for that price would expect a fresh one

Mileage good and low and looks looked after but is it due a cambelt change, if so, will they include in price?

Otherwise if auto suits him and he likes looks like a clean one, though would still try and get for less, is a little steep imo but thats garage prices for you

My first thought too was yuk its an auto (limits resale as not many people want them)

Then long mot (how long do they call long?) for that price would expect a fresh one

Mileage good and low and looks looked after but is it due a cambelt change, if so, will they include in price?

Otherwise if auto suits him and he likes looks like a clean one, though would still try and get for less, is a little steep imo but thats garage prices for you

yeah i agree bit on the expensive side. you could find a better deal with a private sale. unless you can get them to throw in some extras. cambelt done,service ect

who cares about the cam belt (if it breaks its not the end of the world)

wouldn't pay that money though for an auto especially and auto that old, doesn't matter how clean the top of the car is its what its like underneath, low millage could also mean its been sitting for long periods of time and might have calliper problems, rotten fuel system and possibly knackered bushes

+ with it being an early import it could have a crappy 3sfe engine making it even more pointless

plenty of nice autos out there, for that kind of money he could stretch a few more hundred and buy an auto vert :D

Edited by Briano

If it's an Import (looks like is as no headlight washers) it can never be a GT. The Auto was often matched upto the 3S-FE on the ss1.

If it does have the 3S-GE, a full MOT and comes with a good history it's not far off the right price with a bit of haggling. But not if the car is going to be sold on again in a few months.

Take your knowledge and make the salesman squirm, as a very early Pre-facelift, Import offer £550.

gen 6s are lucky on cam belts if they go they dont muller the engine unlike most cars

you see we all know that, but you still get some scare mongers around sayign but if it goes at x revs etc etc, its designed to be non interferance so if it goes i would be pretty confident fitting jsut a new belt and tensioner, hell my last blue GT i sold I actually told the guy if the belt snaps i will buy it back (because he was a daffty and though at 135k its due and if it snaps i need a new engine)

im 100% certain though that on a gen 5 or gen 4 you will kill your engine and also the beams will be smashed to bits if a belt goes, only the rev 3 guys who are lucky (please note fi you have changed your cams you will muller your engine)

+ with it being an early import it could have a crappy 3sfe engine making it even more pointless

Hey, my 3sfe is lovely! Yes, I will be buying a gt before long but that's besides the point ;)

I bought my 3sge Auto for £250 but spent a few quid on it to get the look that i wanted. it's an auto and i love it and i would never sell it. If he intends to keep it, he could probably get a better bargain within the club. Also check the insurance because for some stupid reason imports are dearer to insure

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.