Another random ? for you lovely peeps.

ok... have a set of 18' matrix shadow (similar to new astra wheels) sitting in my loft.. not sure wether to just refurb in boring silver of do a white finish and contrast bits of my car.. then had the weird idea of wrapping them in carbon fibre.. this would be cheaper than refurbing them.

can this be done? was goin to put a rim protector on to stop damage in tyre replacement.

possible?

I'm of the 'boring old man' opinion that wheels shouldn't be a lairy colour on a road car, as you (usually) just look a bit of a chav.

Subtle silver or a darker anthracite will do on most cars. Something I've always wanted is some 'Shadow chrome' wheels, which is a paint finish you find on a lot of BMWs, like this -

ShadowChrome68.jpg

T'was me who wrapped a spare set of G7 wheels I acquired. To be honest the result was not up to my expectations. Heat didn't seem to be a problem tho, but brake dust and road dirt made a nice home for itself in the 3d bits of the wrap in no time at all. Attempting to keep them clean has caused a fair bit of lifting under the inner edges near the centres and around the bolt holes. These wheels have now been relegated to behind my shed and may well come out again for winter use.

grey1.jpg

grey3.jpg

They look really nice, I'm putting my Toyota ones back on for winter as they've got tons of tread on compared to my current wheels ... I was going to sand them down and spray them (badly) however I might try wrapping them (badly) instead, if i fail will just go back to the paint idea, cheers for the pics, did you sand them first to get the wrap to stick better?

Before I did the wrappng I sprayed the wheels in Ford graphite grey but left the bits to wrapped in primer (and overspray), this may be what has caused the lifting at the edges to happen. Any sort of vinyl will stick better to a smooth glossy finish rather than a matt one. So if you have a smooth surface leave it that way.

They look really nice, I'm putting my Toyota ones back on for winter as they've got tons of tread on compared to my current wheels ... I was going to sand them down and spray them (badly) however I might try wrapping them (badly) instead, if i fail will just go back to the paint idea, cheers for the pics, did you sand them first to get the wrap to stick better?

All you need is a smooth surface...and it has to be clean. The vinyl self adheres via heating it up to mould it to the shape of the item you're wrapping. If the wheels are badly kerbed and so on...they'd probably be better off being sanded down to make them as smooth as possible and then sprayed. Ray at RTP informed me that you really need to wait 6 weeks after spraying something before sticking wrap to it, I'd imagine it'd because the paint and wrap would bond together and make a REET mess when you come to remove the vinyl.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.