Paintwork Prob

dr3bin

Okay so some of you Gen 7'ers know that I got a crap paint job done about a month ago. Basically the paint doesn't match properly (Astral Black: 202) and the finish is 'dull' / not as mirror-like as the rest of the car.

I have sent a letter to the workshop letting them know of the poor finish and that I am willing to let them take the car back to work on it again to do it properly.

What other steps should I take at this time? Are there any governing bodies I should inform about this poor work? Third party comments on the work? (i.e. review from another paint shop)

Or should I wait to see what this chap says before moving forward with anything else?

Pics;

7c2e623a.jpg

9c65eeca.jpg

It is the door and rear bumper. I paid £250 for both panels and the work took 2 days (oven baked).

P.s. Apologies to mods if this is in the wrong sub-forum.

Thanks guys.

I did give it a good going over with a machine polisher on Sunday, but to no avail :(

The paint dude got back to me and he is going to do the work again for free. He told me there are two shades of Astral Black (202); one of which is 'muddier' than the other? :huh: That's news to me :lol:

Anyways, hopefully this time it'll come out looking awesome instead of "oo looks good from that side, now the OH EM GEE MY EYES THEY BURN"

Edited by dr3bin

A mate of mine who had a bad job done by a local garage under an insurance claim had them removed from the approved repairers list, but that was more involved than just a poor paint job.

If they cant sort it then there is always the Sale of Goods Act, something to do with "not suitable for purpose", but CAB would be able to give you more advice on that point.

Hope you get it sorted though without anymore hassle.

Steve :)

I had something very similar with the dealer I bought my Celica from so I spoke to trading standards who advised that I get it on paper and send a letter (preferrably to the owner/director of the company) a note saying that I was unhappy with the work and why, that I had contacted trading standards who had informed me to send a letter to see if it can get resolved before they would start investigation proceedings. A few days later I had the problem all rectified by the dealer. Just keep it polite, but let them know that you are clued up via trading standards, as Digitalman said " Sale of goods act" not fit for purpose was the route I went.

Your local government authority should have a trading standards office

Trading Standards

Hertfordshire Office – 01727 813849

It was worth the call to trading standards in the end as they gave some really good advice and the letter was enough to scare them in to sorting out the problem quickly.

GL Mate!

Edited by johnsg

Thanks for the info mates :thumbs:

The chap is gonna give it a go again on the 26th October as he is booked up till then. A full respray of the door and bumper for free :) If it's still naff I'll pop into CAB and call Trading Standard etc and go from there.

Here's to hoping it'll come out looking really nice :)

I had an issue that involved Trading Standards. They also quoted 'The sale of goods act' which involves services not fit for pupose. I sent a polite letter asinstructed, and no joy. They told me to go to there website and fill in there standard format letter, and print it and post to the supplier. This was enough to make this smart ass fucker poop his pants. within fourteen days everything was sorted, never have i had my ass-licked like this company did. Keep your cool, do it correctly, and you will win the day

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.