Anyone used Type VR Push Engine Start Gear Knob?

Gimba

It would be an instant MOT fail if you removed the steering lock though, so you still need to put the key in and turn it to the first position to disengage the steering lock

hmm you sure Rich i got a stolen recovered cavalier many moons ago & i never replaced the ignition/ steering lock assembly,just wired in an switch to bring on the ignition in 1 of the blank switch areas ( used the same switch from a breakers as the heated seats that where not fitted) & a hidden push button to start & it passed 2 mots with no probs, as far as i'm aware there is no requirement for a steering lock its your choice as to how secure you want your car to be :D

Also this mod/money saver also saved my car from joy riders as it was broken & steering plastics busted off & then left i can only assume they where confused when there was no ignition wiring to screw driver to start it...lol

I guess the way to do it would be similar in the celica ( i have considered it) remove the ignition/steering lock completely , have a switched ignition & push the button to start, you could maybe do it on a timer relay to be doubly safe so that the starter would only engage for a set amount of time from the doors being unlocked ie unlocking the doors switches the timed relay for say 10 secs which gives power to the starter trigger wire for same time ( have to complete the circuit with the push button to start)

Am unsure as to how the immobilizer works does it have to be in the ignition? or near it?

I'm pretty sure the steering lock is part of the MOT test, but i could be wrong

just done a little digging & is not a requirement atm but will be Jan 1st 2012

Section 2.1 – Steering Control

The law requires vehicles to be fitted with some sort of anti-theft mechanism to provide

minimum security protection. Commonly this is achieved by the fitment of steering locks,

transmission locks, or gearshift locks.

For testing purposes, the Directive only concerns itself with steering locks, and a check on the

presence and operation of the steering lock mechanism, where one was fitted as standard, has

therefore been added to this Section.

Testers are required to check that the mechanism doesn’t inadvertently engage, but this is

effectively already carried out during the ‘lock to lock’ check. However, to check that the

steering lock operates as intended, it will generally be necessary to remove the ignition key and

turn the steering wheel sufficiently to engage the lock.

seems the law is screwing us again you can have as many anti theft devices as you like but if you remove your fitted as standard steering lock you will fail as of next year :( so that little mod is now not worth doing

bugger my slow typing lol

Edited by sh3p

I have an engine start button in place of the cigarette lighter (courtesy of Scott previous owner) wiring looks pretty simple as I disconnected it when I took the dash out. Don't have the car with me so can't confirm the wiring but imagine it would be the same

indeed you can still fit a push button you just can't remove your ignition / steering lock, so you have to put in the key turn it all but 1 notch to then stop & push a button so seems a bit pointless, but would have looked more into removing it all together & installing a switched ignition & push button but that will soon be a failed MOT :(

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.