need help asap :)

Hoody

Hey, ive just gone to replace my front brake pads ive got the old ones off and the news ones in place but as the new pads are thinker the top part of the calipier wont go ove the new pads. how do i push back the large shock on the back part of the calipier as its really stiff.

Hi there

I had exactly the same problem recently. One of the two sliding bolts had seized completely on mine. How I fixed it ;

Ordered a refurb kit which contained two new caliper sliding bolts, rubber boots and grease.

Took the pad holder off with the suck bolt in it.

Clamped the pad holder carefully in a large bench vise then put a socket head on the stuck bolt. Applied some release compound (posh WD40 basically) and allowed to soak in for a few minutes. Used a wrench bar to turn the stuck bolt in place to break the corrosion. Once it had done three turns it started to move easier.

Then using a hammer and blunt chisel started to whack the underside of the bolt head. It took ten minutes but between turning and whacking the bolt had moved enough to be removed.

The bolt isn't threaded in place, it just sits in a hollow recess in the pad holder. Mine had corroded in place as the rubber boot had split at some point. Once removed it was an easy job to clean up the recess head and drop the new bolt in. I did change both bolts as two are supplied in the refurb kit.

Got my refurb kit from Brakes International, cost about £20 with postage. Reference code BCF1377.

Hope that helps!

Paul M

Push it back using an extension bar from a socket set. Put the smooth end of the socket extension bar in the middle of the piston that you're trying to push back then push against it, if the caliper is still off the car you can press it down with the bar on the floor for extra leverage! :)

Claw hammer wedged in will also do it etc. Just requires a fair bit of force :thumbs:

Topics merged. Try not to post the exact same thing in different areas if poss. It just leads to cluttered up threads and forums ;) Hopefully you've got it sorted now :thumbs:

all done thanks guys, think im goin to have to work out more ready for nxt time lol i used c_jnz idea which worked, just about to go for a test drive to asda will report back to let u know if ive done it right. cheers again

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.