Tried an oil change today...

can be tight sometimes but you must have cheap tools i would always use a decent socket rather than a spanner

i always use thread lock on the sump plug when i replace it this ensures no leaks and means you dont have to overtighten it thinking it may leak ;)

A socket and a two foot breaker bar is my option normally. If you have rounded it, sacrifice a socket, hammer a smaller socket onto the bolt then use a big breaker bar to open the plug. Then replace with a new one!!

Used a socket set as well lol, no luck.

Tried hammering it and all sorts. Need a breaker bar really then

Stupid question, but which way should i be turning it? I know righty tighty.etc.etc

But if im under the car from the front looking at it and have the socket on it- do i push away or pull?

I rounded the sump nut on my van simply because it was impossible to access on the floor. Took it to the garage around the corner, once on the ramps it came off no problem, might be the angle your working at.

No need specifically for a deep socket. a normal one will do. cant remember the size as its been a while. Its much easier with the car nicely jack up and on axel stands. much easier access!!

DSC06347.jpg

DSC05106.jpg

When i first got my car, i done a full service on her. the oil filter had jap writing on it!!!!!! :o :o So it potentially hadnt been changed in many years. This, now this was a bastard of a job!! i bent two screwdrivers trying to get the damn thing off. got there in the end and replaced with a nice new MrT one. :thumbs:

DSC05107.jpg

DSC05108.jpg

DSC06349.jpg

DSC06350.jpg

Splinter,

Axle stands - B) Good

Your axle stand location in the top pic - :( Not so much.

Don't wanna see you get crushed by the car dude, I wouldn't recommend supporting the front end on that Tow/lifting eye, it's not designed for that and could well fold under the weight. Bit risky IMHO.

i always find on mine that its a pain in the ass to jack it up as its so low. just slide drip tray under (just fits) spanner and reach from the drivers wheel, one hand and pull. cars still on the ground so nice and easy. 15 mins and job done, oil and filter change.

never rounded one off with a spanner yet. but you do have to use the ring end.

andy

Never had issues getting mine off of my 53 plate. Dont have any undertrays on either.

Only thing i did was when i first bought the car i did an oil change and replaced the bolt with one of those magnetic ones, been using that ever since, always comes off no trouble.

Agree with Mick on your axle stands Splinter nono.gif

And what you want is a decent set of sockets, something like these

800px-2008-03-31_Deep_metric_sockets_on_rail.jpg

Not those crappy multi point things that only grip the corners of the bolt (the weakest point of the bolt), make sure they grip the flat sides of the bolt head, that way you should find it pretty much impossible to round off any nut or bolt

Splinter,

Axle stands - B) Good

Your axle stand location in the top pic - :( Not so much.

Don't wanna see you get crushed by the car dude, I wouldn't recommend supporting the front end on that Tow/lifting eye, it's not designed for that and could well fold under the weight. Bit risky IMHO.

The two pictures are from two different oil changes the top one being the first one i done on her, it was there as with the car next to the wall there wast roon to jack it up and get the axel stand in esecially with the huge Bomex skirts and slammed. Hence in the next picture, the next time i done it, she is hangout out the end of my driveway, nice and clear of walls so i can get access to the proper points for the stands, which i try to use all the time. :thumbs:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.