gutted ,how quick are corsa vxr`s ?

I actually really like the look of the Arctic White Corsa VXR's. There's a dude down my way who has a blue one, and it looks like a compressed Astra VXR lol

When I was looking at buying my Grande Punto, I went to a Fiat/Vauxhall garage and sat inside an Astra VXR. It was awesome - the dials were fancy, the sports seats were very grippy and anything and everything had "VXR" plastered on it. 0-60 in about 6.5 seconds isn't to be sniffed at either. Shame it was out of my budget :lol:

I'm into sports coupes at the mo (thus the celica) but I can imagine in the future (if I go back to wanting a hatchback) then I will be getting something like the Corsa or Astra VXR. Performance and practicality! :thumbs:

But I agree with the above. It's the driver's that make the car what it is. Unfortunately Corsa's have been tagged as 'chavvy' as its all the kids can afford when they pass their test lol. As it's their pride and joy they splash their Sainsbury's wages on it to make it look better and go faster - both, obviously, from their point of view and tastes.

But this thread isn't about how chavvy the old Corsas are; it's about how a dude got trounced by a Corsa VXR :lol:

I think it's awesome what we can get out of a 1.6 engine with a relatively small turbo in

whoa whoa whoa, didnt say i got trounced , just that i couldnt lose it , after finding out what power they have and how little they weigh im really happy with the way my car performed, looks like a trip to see Lee could be on the cards in the new year so i can shock a few people lol

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

whoa whoa whoa, didnt say i got trounced , just that i couldnt lose it , after finding out what power they have and how little they weigh im really happy with the way my car performed, looks like a trip to see Lee could be on the cards in the new year so i can shock a few people lol

lol oh yeah sorry dude, I forget he was behind you! The little pest :lol: I've amended my post to speak the truth instead of lies!!

Just rock up and say "Lee, I couldnt shake this pesky VXR. Here's my credit card. Do what you need to do"

He will do the rest :thumbs:

Edited by dr3bin

Well I did properly destroy one, and he was pretty well modifed too, left it for dead and he caught me up in the services for a chat about the car. Think he was suprised and was genuinely interested in the car etc.

They're good little cars but reliability can be an issue even for stock motors (melting pistons aren't a good thing!)

i quite like hondas , some are boring as sin but you cant help but enjoy a nice Prelude

Fixed that for you, Adam. :)

You could say the exact same thing about Toyotas, remember - with the added bit that Toyota pretty much ONLY make boring cars nowadays, with the odd souped-up version of a boring car ... ;)

Vauxhalls ... yeah, well, I wouldn't have one myself simply because I have a stupid thing going on in my head that refuses to let me conform to the norms of society.

Angus

As with so many thing, its all about location, location, location!

I remember absolutely anihilating an old MA70 Supra on one of my favourite B'roads a while back.

The guy caught up with me in traffic later & started a conversation.

He couldn't believe new cars were so quick.

What was I driving?

My mum's ford Puma!

270ish bhp of mr T's finest straight 6 loveliness, caned by 125bhp of fancy shape fiesta.

(Incidentally, I highly recommend having a go in a ford puma, they're great fun!)

Any given comparison done on a vehicles spec is only really relevent on A) paper, or B) a racetrack.

Real life has a way of evening out the playing field.

In the words of the late, great Colin McRae:

Straight roads are for fast cars,

Corners are for fast drivers...

I annoyingly couldn't shift a Mini SD on the way home from work, well...I was behind him and there was a bit of traffic so we had to be sensible, but 225lb of torque and 143bhp from a diesel is mightily nippy...was quite annoying giving how bland it looked! We gave each other a smile and a nod anyway...BIG UP RESPECT-A

People always seem to forget the Turboed F1 cars from the late 80's, 1.5 litre turbocharged V6 and V8's producing up to 1,500 BHP in qualifying trim ohmy.gif

200 BHP out of a 1.6 is nothing laugh.gif

Haha, innit. You wouldn't need to rebuild a 200bhp engine after every little race though would ya

I remember when honda released the civic vti & everyone was quacking on about it having 100bhp per litre - 1600cc = 160bhp.

around about the same sort of time, yamaha released the r6, which had 200bhp per litre!

600cc = 120bhp.

the r6 was very reliable & massivly quick, partially due to being light obviously, but it got me thinking at the time, why can't they just scale up bike engines so they're robust enough to cope with lugging 4 wheels around?

Then you'd have a reliable 200bhp naturally aspirated 1.0ltr car, with sensible service intervals!

Edited by Adex

I remember when honda released the civic vti & everyone was quacking on about it having 100bhp per litre - 1600cc = 160bhp.

around about the same sort of time, yamaha released the r6, which had 200bhp per litre!

600cc = 120bhp.

the r6 was very reliable & massivly quick, partially due to being light obviously, but it got me thinking at the time, why can't they just scale up bike engines so they're robust enough to cope with lugging 4 wheels around?

Then you'd have a reliable 200bhp naturally aspirated 1.0ltr car, with sensible service intervals!

no torque so it wouldnt be able to pull the mass along , thats why haybussa engines in really lightweight cars go like stink but wouldnt work in say a diesel bmw

I reckon that thats a good example of technology crossing over though,

Bike thechnology coming into cars eg, throttle bodies for outright power, direct injection for efficiency etc.

Car tech in bikes eg, v-tec for more mid-range.

To be honest, thats one of the reasons the vxr & cars like it are so powerful.

Constant & increasing pressure to make cars as green & efficient as possible has led manufacturers to learn how best to extract every last bit of power from each drop of fuel.

Obviously, the ability of contemporary ecu's helps a lot too.

lol oh yeah sorry dude, I forget he was behind you! The little pest :lol: I've amended my post to speak the truth instead of lies!!

Just rock up and say "Lee, I couldnt shake this pesky VXR. Here's my credit card. Do what you need to do"

He will do the rest :thumbs:

lol thankyou

See i'm quite impressed with the fact the 190 can hold up against a Corsa VXR, I half expected to see it had done you Paul.

Now the one little car that has shocked me recently was 06 or 07 Mitsubishi Colt Ralliart - quick little buggers when the turbo kicks in!!!! Although we were heading uphill so I guess the lighter car and similar torque (i think it has similar) might have come in to play. But then the bends appeared...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.