Carbon Bonnet Fitting help.

splinter

Hi all.

I have this fine bit of stuff from Ray (yellowchinaman)

IMG_0153.jpg

Now, wpart from the four bolts holding it in, will i need to transfer the rubber bungs, two small ones at the side, and two at the front end? if so there arent any holes for them?

How have you done it?

Thanks

Matt

Edited by splinter

You can if you want Matt but it's not compulsory.

The bonnets and boots are simplified to eliminate as much as possible for track use. How ever the option to transfer OEM parts are still there but requires you to drill out the holes your self.

You'll find it the same with the boot as well. In order for you to feed the cables and hoses through you'll need to drill it out.

If you need any help Matt. Feel free to ask me as we did make it for you. :)

Oh yeah. Another person who did this that you can talk to is VietTS as he installed the boot and bonnet him self.

Edited by yellowchinaman

You can if you want Matt but it's not compulsory.

The bonnets and boots are simplified to eliminate as much as possible for track use. How ever the option to transfer OEM parts are still there but requires you to drill out the holes your self.

You'll find it the same with the boot as well. In order for you to feed the cables and hoses through you'll need to drill it out.

If you need any help Matt. Feel free to ask me as we did make it for you. :)

Oh yeah. Another person who did this that you can talk to is VietTS as he installed the boot and bonnet him self.

Ok, cheers Ray. i should be fitting this tomorrow. The boot will have to wait! I'll drop VietTS a PM. Ta

Matt

Not got an RTP bonnet but i did fit up my carbon bonnet myself.

Really simple in terms of the 4 bolts just as per usual, leave them with a bit of play, close softly and check everything lines up, adjust accordingly and tighten fully.

As for the bungs and stuff, i found that the material on the underside FRP in my case was thicker than the metal bonnet and as such the threads dont fit and i had to thin it out with a flap wheel. And soften the bung in some hot water (it was cold otuside)

HTH!

Pics will be sure to follow tomorrow!!

I will try with out and see if the bonnent sits ok and doesnt rattle. If so i will attempt to fit the bungs!!

The tail gate is a whole different ball game!! gona be alot of work for that one. And a new rear windshield!!!

get a broom handle for doing the boot and at least 2 extra pairs of hands id say, it'll be an awkward C-Unit to do. Broom handle can be wedged into a nook in the boot lid and then into the wheel well or something to hold it up whilst you fit the boot struts :)

Haha, i carry my massive spirit level with me at all times anyway! it fit purfectly from the boot floor to the top of the plastic bit where it meets the rear screen. The struts are fubard, have been since i bought the car.

Gona wait till i get some cash for a new rear windscreen as my one i have now has a craply done limo tint and i cant see fuck all out of it, then a big TRD sticker along the bottom under the tint too. so instead of ruin it whith trying to remove the tint and the woindow from the old frame. ill buy a new one!!

polycarbonate windows ftw mate, no heated rear window but it means even more weight reduction :)

I'm not to fussed about weight saving to be honest, it is still my everyday car. I do however have many many rattles and noises to track down! haha.

Well little problem!! the four bolts it came with i threw away with the wood and the wrapping a while ago. didnt realise i would need these!! the original bolts are much larger.

So trip to B&Q and some new bolts and spring washers, and then try again, only to find M6 washers sit inside the hole in the bonnet holders, so i dug arround one of my many tool boxes and found some washers that will work. So few minutes later it was done. Then when i fitted it i took her out for a spin and shes tight as anything, so no need for the rubber bungs. Also i then realised my alarm now thinks the bonnet is open as they arent there. so that means the remote start wont work, bring on some highly technical electrical tape over and around the switch, job done!!

So, pictures!!

before:

DSC05909.jpg

During!! two brooms as holders and carboard to protect the pointy bits!

DSC05916.jpg

Finnished:

DSC05917.jpg

Close of the weave:

DSC05919.jpg

DSC05920.jpg

Its awesome! Thanks Ray.

Matt

She looks a bit scruffy still from having to rip off my C-one lip. But it was for the greater good! Ray has used it as a mould and a brand new one along with CF GT/TRD spoiler will be winging its way to me soon. then with the lip fitted properly the bumper and lip will be painted with matching black stripes. My carbon tailgate also features the stripes. Then with my GT wing i will have the wing in CF with the stripes in white. Cant wait till its all done.

Edited by splinter

With all the bits back on this is gonna be the best looking gen 7 on here me thinks!

:unsure:

Cheers! I cant wait for it all to come together. Than i can get to work on the interior and engine. Got big plans in the pipe line!! mr Mbaily has a head start on me!! haha. :o

Cant belive Seth is getting rid of his, his car was my inspiration!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.