Is a Gen 7 Celica a suitable company car?

wilbo83

I am starting a new job next Monday where I get a fairly decent car allowance. My contract states that the allowance is "paid on the condition that you have an appropriate vehicle available when required to undertake a business journey for the company". I wont be on the road all the time but probably visiting customers once a week, usually alone although would occasionally need to take people out on business trips.

I was just wondering if anyone has a similar car allowance and use their celica? Have been toying with the idea of moving to something larger, but would like to keep the celica for a little while especially with petrol prices as they are, as it is more economical than what i would move to.

I am starting a new job next Monday where I get a fairly decent car allowance. My contract states that the allowance is "paid on the condition that you have an appropriate vehicle available when required to undertake a business journey for the company". I wont be on the road all the time but probably visiting customers once a week, usually alone although would occasionally need to take people out on business trips.

I was just wondering if anyone has a similar car allowance and use their celica? Have been toying with the idea of moving to something larger, but would like to keep the celica for a little while especially with petrol prices as they are, as it is more economical than what i would move to.

only problem if there is more than one customer, you cant really expect them to squeeze in the back.

having said that, you can't get rid of the celica :(

only problem if there is more than one customer, you cant really expect them to squeeze in the back.

having said that, you can't get rid of the celica :(

Thats the issue, even when i take colleagues out at lunch time at the moment, i feel sorry for them having to duck in the back. Wouldn't want to do that with a customer / client

We had 6 in the car park at work as they were allowed as company cars when Toyota actually sold them. It does have 4 seats and a boot so no issues really.

I still have mine as I took the money in lieue of a company car and use it to 'run' my car lol.

Just thinking what if ya get 3 6 foot customers ? Get a roof rack sorted :(:)

simple answer to that is one in the front seat, one laying down in the back and one curled up in the boot, problem solved :D

Edited by Dan23

MY cousin used to use his Ford Capri for his company car, got all his kit in the boot and often had 2-3 people in the car when taking them out for lunch.

I'm sure if the people you take out appreciate your car for what it is then you should be fine :(

Doesn't "appropriate" mean that it needs to be safe to drive (i.e. have a current MOT, plenty of thread, etc) and fit for you to exercise your role within the company? So if you just have to drive places to visit people, a Smart car could be appropriate.

I suppose it also depends if you intend to mod the Celica, i can't imagine many business clients being too impressed if you have it stiffly sprung and with a loud exhaust
It is lowered on TTE springs, has a Blitz Nur Spec exhaust and Blitz Sonic induction kit. Also planned to get a set of 18s and a carbon bonnet next :(

suppose you could go for some kind of saloon which might get a good mileage.

Can't really think of any models off the top of my head.

If you're giving clients lifts, maybe a 4 door?

If I have to give the celica up for a more practical car, from a space perspective, ie 4 doors and 5 seats, then the 2 I am considering are an Impreza WRX (with PPP) or a Seat Leon Cupra R 225. As you can see, I don't want to lose the performance or give up a hobby I love.

Doesn't "appropriate" mean that it needs to be safe to drive (i.e. have a current MOT, plenty of thread, etc) and fit for you to exercise your role within the company? So if you just have to drive places to visit people, a Smart car could be appropriate.

agreed - also need to declare it your insurance as "business use" which is differnt to commute.

can't you keep the Celica and use the car allowance to buy a car for company use?

You might not want all those business miles to take their toll on your pride and joy's engine, tyres, bodywork...

do they pay for insurance, road tax, etc etc.? i'm not 100% sure how a car allowance works.

can't you keep the Celica and use the car allowance to buy a car for company use?

You might not want all those business miles to take their toll on your pride and joy's engine, tyres, bodywork...

do they pay for insurance, road tax, etc etc.? i'm not 100% sure how a car allowance works.

The mileage was another factor as it has 88k at the moment, and my customers are going to be based all over England so that would increase pretty quick. The car allowance is just paid like normal salary, insurance, tax etc is still my responsibility.

Not sure I could afford to keep 2 cars, if I get another one I would need to sell the celica for some capital. As much as it upsets me, I think I may have to sell up and get a lower mileage, bigger car. :(

The mileage was another factor as it has 88k at the moment, and my customers are going to be based all over England so that would increase pretty quick. The car allowance is just paid like normal salary, insurance, tax etc is still my responsibility.

Not sure I could afford to keep 2 cars, if I get another one I would need to sell the celica for some capital. As much as it upsets me, I think I may have to sell up and get a lower mileage, bigger car. :(

could the allowance stretch to cover a 5-6 year old Golf or Fiesta/Focus?

Low insurance, low tax, good fuel economy, relatively inexpensive upkeep, & kinda roomy with 4 doors...

I wouldn't go for an Impreza then if you are going to be doing big mileage, well unless you have shares in BP anyway

Even if you get a fuel allowance it is usually a flat rate of so many pence per mile, in which case you will still be paying a hefty chunk of the fuel bills yourself

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.