Moving Country

Ned Ramsay

Hi All,

Been a while since my last post due to work/girlfriend/bad weather.

It looks like Im going to be moving to South California in June/July for the foreseeable future or until my pasty English skin has had enough and I wilt.

My question: Is it worth taking my car with me? Buying new/2nd hand over there?

Pro: Right hand drive cars are cooler FACT.

Con: cost of taking a car abroad.

Anyone know any weird anomalies like "if your car is made in japan it must pass an anti-communism test" or somesuch?

Looking forward to some interesting and informed discussion!!

I'm interested in this thread as well, will keep an eye on it, as after spending 2 weeks out in the states (Albuquerque, NM) with work, and working out there (no holiday) i'm interested in moving out to the states as well at some point in the future

Im just V lucky that I am a dual nationality Brit/Yank so its not such a big deal, but they have so much Red Tape with everything else I hoped there may be an old sea dog who knew the score on here.

A quick search of Autotrader.com shows that your "average" cars are cheaper (such as the celica) but things like a Lotus Elise are about £5k more expensive.

Edited by Ned Ramsay

Mate when I was looking into moving to Boston I went down this road re' a TVR Cerbera or Supra TT. Believe me, it is NOT worth the hassle unless it is a very rare marque. For instance at the time i was looking, only one person in history had managed to import a Cerb and that was for a 1yr import limit - must be exported before the year was up.

While a similar spec gen 6 out there could in fact be slightly more expensive (New cars = way cheaper, Second hand cars = not such an extreme lack of value for old cars) it's still not worth all the Import hassle associated with a right hooker (if it's a non domestic engine, eg the 3SGE/3SGTE then its even worse). Go have some fun and buy something different out there :D

1. Bastard. I should have moved out to SoCal in the 80s when the chance was put in my lap whilst I was working out there.

2. Get rid and buy a Corvette (petrol is about 50p a litre, remember). :D Seriously, with the amount of traffic on the roads once you get into town, I wouldn't fancy driving a RHD car. It's bad enough in somewhere like Paris or Milan, so might as well not disadvantage yourself in LA or San Diego.

Angus

petrols 92 cents a litre angus going on last month

would i ? ummmm nope i wouldnt , the main reason is this , you have no idea of what car you will need when you get over there , you could find your car bloody useless , america has big ass cars with soggy rides for a reason , the roads are chronic and people drive like they dont give a shit , without all the hastle of registration theres still the problem of using a rhd car in a lhd country , parking is a bastard , you cant see to over take and as the entire country is based on drive throughs you will soon get pissed off with getting out of your car to do whatevers needed be it a burger or a parking ticket

when i was over there in the taxi from the airport the misses says ``theres a celica`` , spotted it before me !!! it was a white gen 7 with daft spolier and a black bonnet , didnt see another till near time to come home when i saw another 7 but this time in that silvery browny shitty colour , totally standard so i near missed it , didnt see another and i did look for them , the vast majority of cars were funky camereo taxis , huge buses , limos and oddly ford transit connects

Sell your car before moving mate!! Even if you love it, the fact ir's RHD will mean it'll soon become a menace and you'll not be able to sell it over there very easily! Not even worth the hassle imho!!

much easier and cheaper to buy a car out there to be honest.

Plus you can probably get some 'nice' cars for the cost of just shipping yours out there.

If you'd have put a serious amount of cash into your car or if it was a rare one, then it might be worth it... otherwise you're better off buying out there.

Check out newcelica.org if you want to find another Celica to buy while you're out there :)

Ah California, the least mod-friendly state in the whole US of A

Sell it, buy something big and luxurious and utterly ludicrous once there. It's going to be much cheaper..... Just don't try cornering in it like you would in a Celica!

Oh, and best of luck for the planned move fella. Hope it all works out well for you.

Thanks all for your advice.

i didn't even consider the state laws for mods etc. damn them and their rules. As mentioned, i guess until i know exactly where I'm commuting from or too, i may need a 4x4 with some of those roads.

I'll keep you all posted as things develop....the things we do for the fairer sex eh!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.