Terraclean awesome or snake oil

soul45

Mate of mine's just had his car treated with "Terraclean" and say's it's awesome and it's like having a new car...what do you guys think....is it worth the £108 to have it done?

Going to be interesting what people say about this. I'm guessing it works but not quite as well or as good value for money as they claim. My concern would be the shock to an old engine from such an aggressive clean.

I've read a few reviews on this, not many to found in all fairness, and remain sceptical.

There are a couple claiming great effect, others say marginal, and others non at all.

My opinion after reading is that it may help with an otherwise neglected engine, but if you know your engine has been taken care of it may be money best spent elsewhere.

For example, the first most positive scenario I read involved an older, turbo'd Vauxhall, on the day of terraclean, the garage also repaired a radiator hose which had worked itself loose, and loose turbo wastegate hose, ending a 'months old' problem, both of which are indicative of poor maintainance in my eyes.

I saw someone mention this stuff in another thread the other day and my first reaction as a confirmed cynic was 'what absolute b*llocks'

Marketing these days is so powerful all you need to do is put a picture of some guy off the telly on the advert (in this case Ed China) and you convince at least one person. That person then goes and tries to convince everyone who knows, if he succeeds then they all go off and it just spreads like wildfire, whether the product is good or not is largely irrelevant, no one actually considers this point these days, we just listen to the people that say what we want to hear and ignore everyone else.

Only thing I would put in my engine is oil. Any loose debris can be removed by changing the filter, maybe once in a while a good flush with oil.

Most manufacturers advise strongly against using such cleaning products too, they can and often do cause damage....

Having had this suggested to me what with my current MOT emission problems I went off to look at the website and have to say I'm not convinced!

Site makes a LOT of grand claims but offers NO explanation of:

A- How they go about it, what the actual process is?

or

B- What it actually does to the inside of the engine? :huh:

If one assumes that it is basically a super super strength Cataclean (or similar) product then I would be equally worried about the 'shock' value to the internal seals etc of the engine. Plus as most of us know an otherwise fine running engine can suddenly seem to develop leaks if we change to a much thinner oil. The same would undoubtedly be true here. Those Carbon deposits, while on the whole bad could also be plugging microscopic holes etc in various places, so after an aggressive internal cleaning you could suddenly be left with an engine that leaks like a sieve or drinks oil!!!

No, the only thing I will put in mine to 'clean' it is Cataclean which is well proven, but even then I only use it as a last resort as I don't like the idea of additives in the first place. Best way to clean your engine is regular oil changes, good quality fuel and a bloody hard run ;)

Yeah exactly dude. Loads of claims, not one shred of evidence or lab data to back any of it up.

To me sounds just like this lot:

http://www.asa.org.uk/Rulings/Adjudications/2005/8/Ecotek-Technologies-Plc/CS_40177.aspx

No thanks. Got to hand it to them though, they have convinced a ton of people to spend £110 on what most people seem to think is basically a bit of injector cleaner. Profits for dealers of this system must make an absolute fortune. If it wrecks your engine you could just say 'ah, but the terracleaning brought your awareness to the problem! you would have never noticed otherwise!' lol.

We had these big claims with halo plugs about improving mpg and improving performance.

I kept a mileage log for 10,000 miles with halos and 10,000 miles with NGKs - mpg was the same and I never felt any difference in power - never actually saw any real dyno figures despite all the claims.

Here's a great link from the BMW forum. Holy crap those guys know their stuff. There was a PHD Physicist on there talking serious science and who should pop in but the product manager of terraclean talking bollocks about nano particles and posting what appears to be deliberately misleading photos. Then he just disappears at the end leaving the important questions totally unanswered haha.

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e39-m5-e52-z8-discussion/68535-solution-carbon-build-up-terraclean.html

Thinking about this for my diesel Rav4. I've also been quoted £108 for a mobile service. If you watch the YouTube clip featuring Ed China, it's pretty convincing, especially looking at the before and after emissions readings......

Edited by Serratia

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.