Test drove a facelift 140 today

As per title, test drove a 140 today, apparently 39k on clock, looked lovely outside, but inside was a bit scruffy, lots of scratches on plastics etc, didn't feel very tight compared to my gen 6 SR with 87k on the clock, also felt a bit slower, is this normal? Expected to notice the power increase, but everything felt a bit loose, reckon it's been clocked at some point in it's life, had new oil in the engine, no death rattle, but didn't feel quite right. Only had latest MOT certificate showing mileage back to 2011, also only had one key, walked away, was a bit disappointed TBH, quite fancied getting a gen 7, I am I expecting to much or do gen 6's feel like a better car? Should I keep looking?

Going from having 2 gen 7s to a 6 I can say that the 6s feel much better in terms of build quality.

Some gen 7s I drove felt tired and wooly, lowering springs, brass gear shifter bushes and being generally well looked after they do drive very nicely, feel tight and responsive.

Maybe see if there's a member near you with a well looked after one you can try?

• Like 1

Nowt wrong with a Gen 7 140...particular the facelifted one.

Just wasn't the car for you and from what you say you were right to walk away from it..I would have done too.!!.......there's always another out there that will be right.

I'm well happy with my 140 (facelift)...goes well, handles well, looks a treat.

Keep looking...it's out there somewhere.! ;)

Neil

• Like 1

Thanks all, I will test some more, just couldn't believe a Toyota would feel so loose at 39k, and I've been driving them since 1981

...but it may not have actually been 39k in reality.!...or had a rough life..either way...you were right to walk away.

Good luck.

Neil

...but it may not have actually been 39k in reality.!...or had a rough life..either way...you were right to walk away.

Good luck.

Neil

It did feel like it had done more than 39k, pleased I had a drive though, gives me something to compare next time, I'm in no rush, my SR runs sweet, just fancy a change, I'll wait for the right car to come along, gonna try the 190/GT as well.

I bought mine from a garage without a test drive. Car was fundamentally sound. Just needed lots of spending on ancillaries. Could've turned out less good I suppose. Car purchasing can be such a lottery. Looks like the best decision you made was to walk away.

Very easy to clock. Just need a set of dials with a lower mileage on them and swap them over. Simple.

Best thing is to look at the rest of the car to get a better idea of its life.

Agree that it would seem you did the right thing with that one. Sadly, there are dishonest people out there and the Celica is not immune to this.

As others have said, there good cars and feel solid when they're right. Mine is on 122k and still feels great to drive.

Interior build is not as good as the 6 as they made things lighter for power to weight ratio.

Keep looking and don't be disheartened.

I went from a gen 6 25th anniversary to my current 140, the 140 is quite a bit faster than the st, so I'm guessing the one you test drove wasn't te best so stick with it and test drive a few more.

If you find a good one it will feel right.

I helped my lad buy a 120k 140 and drove it a few times. My TSport had 56k when I bought. Both felt fine. Quiet, taught and rattle free. If yours felt sloppy and scruffy you were right to walk.

No idea on gen6 performances but a TSport should be a little over a second quicker to 60 than a 140. Every little helps :)

I helped my lad buy a 120k 140 and drove it a few times. My TSport had 56k when I bought. Both felt fine. Quiet, taut and rattle free. If yours felt sloppy and scruffy you were right to walk.

No idea on gen6 performances but a TSport should be a little over a second quicker to 60 than a 140. Every little helps :)

I think that's what Ian meant :)

It did feel like it had done more than 39k, pleased I had a drive though, gives me something to compare next time, I'm in no rush, my SR runs sweet, just fancy a change, I'll wait for the right car to come along, gonna try the 190/GT as well.

Get yourself to the midlands meet at the end of the month, there'll be plenty of club cars to take a look at I think, including a few GTs like mine, should help you to weed out the good from the bad, all our boys and girls look after their cars!

Link to the meet page - http://www.celica-club.co.uk/forum/index.php?/topic/170577-midlands-meet-22nd-february-1300-de72-2gl/

Edited by Knighty

Get yourself to the midlands meet at the end of the month, there'll be plenty of club cars to take a look at I think, including a few GTs like mine, should help you to weed out the good from the bad, all our boys and girls look after their cars!

Link to the meet page - http://www.celica-club.co.uk/forum/index.php?/topic/170577-midlands-meet-22nd-february-1300-de72-2gl/

We most certainly don't all look after our cars :P

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.