Falling out of love with the Celica

DannyScene

nice work guys!

I was quoted £160 for full refurb of all 5 alloys (inc fullsize spare) and spraying in black

I might just do them myself, all the black parts on my car were done with rattle cans in the space of a day so I'm quite comfortable with spraying

Cas Coatings.... just sayin' :P

I did some OEM 16s myself in gloss black, bad choice of colour for a impatient newbie :P

Edited by Dan HX

My wheels cost £300 for all 5 to be refurbed, £160 sounds like a bargain! Although if you're confident enough, doing them yourself would obviously be cheaper still.

Slightly off topic, was it you that I went past the other night Danny? Monday night at about 8pm it would of been on the m1. It was definitely a silver celica with some damage to the front drivers side and the TTE spoiler on the back :think:

Hi Mate

The £160 is a mate of mine who works doing this for a living on behalf of a company but he is taking on mates on the side at home :)

It wasn't me mate I don't do much Motorway driving, good to know I have a copycat though :P haha

My TTE is black with silver side bits, I also have black wheels and bonnet scoop

Cas Coatings.... just sayin' :P

I did some OEM 16s myself in gloss black, bad choice of colour for a impatient newbie :P

I know cas coatings well, lots of my mates have used them

Infact my mate works for them, or did, I'm never sure he jumps between places haha

Stick with the Celica. If you had to borrow money to buy it in the first place then I suspect you haven't the money to find/run something better/faster anyway. I had a similar budget to you when looking for mine and the Gen 7 for me is one of the best looking affordable cars out there, nothing else came close in that price range.

I guess this thread massively indicates how my mood swings are of late..

As of this morning I think my love for the celica is coming back

Im just about to order the parts to fix her back up, my mate has agreed to plastidip my car so thats going to cost about £150 for a full colour change, my sister and girlfriend have agreed to buy me lowering springs and avensis brake calipers respectively, I've just taken on a saturday job to supplement my earnings from my full time job meaning I'll have more money for mods... On the back of that...

I've decided I want more power and would like to learn to do an engine swap so I'm looking into if I could possibly manage that myself (i have access to all the tools I'd need)

Alternatively I'm considering buying some cams and fitting them myself

Oh yes and today is payday friday and I have the day off work

So happy Friday fellow celica owners and apologies if I came across as whiney but you guys and girls all seriously helped :D

• Like 2

Pleased to hear it Danny.

Just one thing, unless you are really nifty with a spanner and given your slightly rollercoaster nature it would be sooooooooooo much easier just to save up a few hundred quid and buy a 190, but the more you splash onto your 140 the less you will want to do that. Now assuming you are a stubborn f*ckwit Yorkie like myself. or did you say you arent naturalised, I cant recall,...........you will ignore the advice and do what you want..........in which case fine but on the other hand in case you change your mind, keep all the old bits so you can switch the springs atc to the new car later. Confused? You should be I am!

Getting a facelift 140 for a grand was good going though. What mileage has it got?

I'm as stubborn as the rest of yorkshire haha although anything I buy for this one will be transferable to a 190 if I go that way but ultimately I'll probably stick with this one

It had 97000 on the clock when I bought it if I remember rightly, it also has every optional extra, I think, including satnav, sunroof and stereo upgrade and full Toyota service history

yeah you can get dodgy 190s for the same, decentish ones for 1500 but a facelift with that history is around 2k mark usually.

I would value yours, when pretty at around 14 - 1600 ish as I got 1200 for my sons prefacelift with more miles but was lucky and cars cost more down here :o(

What does Kev think?

I dunno what id do without lift tbf. Its the only thing that makes me want to keep the car! I dunno how all you 140s do it haha.. 6.5 revs makes me happy :)

PS they can look good with the right kits as well.. Oh and i duno what toyota were thinking when they added them rear fogs to the bumper :blink:

Edited by Celica_Mad

i went tho same kinda phase with mine,didnt know if to stick with it or move on,but after thinking about it long and hard i asked myself this,what else looks as good,is as cheap to run,is super reliable,parts dont empty your wallet,handle as well,isnt as common as muck like bmws audis etc,not many if any cars tick all them boxes.

you could go buy a turbo motor,but i bet ya its gonna kane your wallet,and wont be no where near as reliable as the 7 will be,worth the hassle? not really.

seems to be more and more mods coming out for the gen 7,which can only be a plus,then theres the option of supercharger or a turbo kit later down the line,yer ok it may need a few little tweeks here and there and yes it rattles a bit,but no cars gonna be perfect,get something else and your find problems with that.

stick with it build yourself a sound car how you want it,and your enjoy it again,make it your own.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.