Engine Decarbonizer service

RoryK

Just watched the wheeler dealers with the Jaguar XK8 where Ed China does an engine decarbonisation and the results looks brilliant:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wiViPKIoG68

Does anyone know of any garages that offer this service ? or has anyone had it done ? I am still not overly sold on engine flushes and additives.

Edited by RoryK

Terraclean it's called.

IMO, it's not needed on an engine that's been well maintained.

Yep very true,

but for me my motors had 4 previous owners and is now roughly 15 years old, so I don't rly know how well its been looked after, its got full service history but even with that I can only assume its been looked after :S

Guess I can guage it by asking my MOT man to tell me what my Carbon PPM is

It gets a good thumbs up from the jag owners club http://www.jaguarforum.co.uk/f26/terraclean-highly-recommend-49131.html

I might give this a pop when my motors up and running, will report back

Edited by RoryK

The worry is wear does anything that's dislodged end up.

For example when I'm cleaning pistons, I take them out and soak them to remove any build up, after a few hours what is left is a sticky mucky residue in the bottom if the bucket - now if you get the same affect with a flush and that stuff gets pumped around the engine - not all of it is going to drop back into the sump .

Regular oil changes are the best thing in my opinion. I have a theory on why manufacturers no set service intervals to 18,000 with so called long life oil - ultimately it will lead to engine failure at around 150k - meaning they can sell more cars - open up a modern engine on 100k that's had 18k changes and you can see why .

The worry is wear does anything that's dislodged end up.

For example when I'm cleaning pistons, I take them out and soak them to remove any build up, after a few hours what is left is a sticky mucky residue in the bottom if the bucket - now if you get the same affect with a flush and that stuff gets pumped around the engine - not all of it is going to drop back into the sump .

Regular oil changes are the best thing in my opinion. I have a theory on why manufacturers no set service intervals to 18,000 with so called long life oil - ultimately it will lead to engine failure at around 150k - meaning they can sell more cars - open up a modern engine on 100k that's had 18k changes and you can see why .

You couldn't be more right ams

It's obvious fact that manufacturers make wear and tear parts 'wear and tear' quicker, it would be no surprise that they are doing it with the engines now in the only real way they can.

It's a win win situation for manufacturers, the customer thinks it needs servicing less making them happy and 'saving them money' and the manufacturer makes more money in the long run from major parts and extensively expensive labour.

What happened to the reliability revolution??

I would like to agree with AMS on this, but can't. It is not the manufacturers that stipulate long life engine services, but legislation. Much of it driven by the USA. We have in the past done work on engines which had to have plugs designed for 140000 miles (life of the vehicle). Oil technology HAS changed drastically, various aditives make for longer service intervals. Elements are meant to be held in suspension in the oil, and caught within the oil filtration system.

Years ago, engines relied on a sludge trap, this held all the particles & deposits. The resulting bi-product was a solid lump of carbon/metalic compound which had to be, in some cases drilled out of the trap (usually a tube within the crankshaft) If this wasn't done then the oilways would be permanently blocked by this stuff.

Cleario, have you seen how the Police actually treat their cars ? drive to the Red line / limiter from cold to catch some teenage scrote in a Corsa ......... I cringe at the thought of the stresses put through those poor engines. (watch the local plod regularly on our works test track)

Yeah you can't compare police cars in this I don't think. It's the same with any company vehicle, if a person doesn't own it and gets fuel paid for etc. they tend to get ragged a lot more. From experience of being a tradesman and being in the back of a police car :-D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes I have, the cars should take the abuse. We they have actually lowered the service time back down to 12,000 rather than the 18,000 that normal cars use. The service time is set on miles driven, time as in yearly, or time the engine has been running in hours.

I drive my car hard, very hard at times. I've done 65000 in it without a problem.

According to terraclean the system actually flushes it out the exhaust, so I dont see it being like some additives where it ends up going no where.

Think im gonna give it a whirl on my 200, ill report back what I find :)

According to terraclean the system actually flushes it out the exhaust, so I dont see it being like some additives where it ends up going no where.

would that not affect the cat? (assuming you have one!)

as with Slick 50 when that came out, I have reservations as to whether this works, but I am sceptical. I was always in the check the water and change the oil regularly camp. she now has over 170,000 miles and pulls like a train. may be interesting to take the engine apart once I swap it out.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.