Magnetic sump plugs…pros and cons?

As says, these magnetic sump plugs, I understand the idea is that they will pick up any metal fillings etc in the oil which all sounds good. But I’m assuming there must be some sort of down side to them as well otherwise they would surely be a factory fit instead of the normal bolt?

Thoughts and opinions?

They pull small particles of metal out of the sump which would otherwise get pushed round the oilways and clog the filter which can only be a good thing

Never heard of any downside to them and can't see how there could be one, they're the first thing I put on any car I ever have, simple but effective

Ok so general consensus is that they are worth fitting :)

So next question is what to get from where? Had a look on Amazon and loads listed, but nothing for Toyota :rolleyes: Some look to be different sizes to others too, so I’m guessing sump plugs are not a universal size across all cars?

right then . . .

fitted one of these to every car I've had. . . and they do take out (sometimes quite a worrying amount of) metal particles . . . ever had a scratch around in your old oil in the drain tray after doing oil change?? . . . . . ok not the greatest pastime, i admit.

There have been a few concerns/comments regarding magnetic sump plugs made out of "alloy" material - ie they may shear off on removal if it's been put in to tight along with the repetative warming/cooling cycle . . . . I reckon you would have to really, really tighten it to have it shear off though.

However there is a steel one

www.motorsport-developments.co.uk "The Dimple is without doubt the best Magnetic Oil Drain Plugs on the market. All steel construction, real engineering quality control and the strongest magnet available"

Follow the link at bottom of the page to their "webshop"

which I have on my G7 . . . . . . .

Hope this helps :)

Oh yes . . . and you get 2 x washers with it

Pros = All good

Cons = None at all

A lot of engines come with them can’t understand why Toyota didn’t fit them!

Next time you do an oil change you will see the swarf produced by the engine on the magnetic plug.

Dorris

+1 , also had a fair few fitted ( on both my cars right now ) , as has been said they can gather a bit of swarf which stops it darting around the engine blocking oil gantrys , they basically work when the engines turned off after a run , the particules gravitate toward the bolt , on removal you end up with a furry bolt end which can be an arse opener , they cant be made of alloy as its not magnetic but can be made of a composite with iron filling in it which are magnetized , however they feel as heavy as cast on all ive come across

right then . . .

fitted one of these to every car I've had. . . and they do take out (sometimes quite a worrying amount of) metal particles . . . ever had a scratch around in your old oil in the drain tray after doing oil change?? . . . . . ok not the greatest pastime, i admit.

There have been a few concerns/comments regarding magnetic sump plugs made out of "alloy" material - ie they may shear off on removal if it's been put in to tight along with the repetative warming/cooling cycle . . . . I reckon you would have to really, really tighten it to have it shear off though.

However there is a steel one

www.motorsport-developments.co.uk "The Dimple is without doubt the best Magnetic Oil Drain Plugs on the market. All steel construction, real engineering quality control and the strongest magnet available"

Follow the link at bottom of the page to their "webshop"

which I have on my G7 . . . . . . .

Hope this helps :)

Oh yes . . . and you get 2 x washers with it

So these 'dimple' plugs is what your using? Certainly sound good in the blurb.

I've tried 3 times and all 3 times the bolt breaks and I had to drill or tap out the magnetic sump plug. I know the logic is good but there are a lot of crap sump plugs out there which cannot be torques up properly. I may have to tray the MD ones. Now I can't remember what size the 3SGTE sump plug was?

Edited by yellowchinaman

been using the magnets out of dud harddrives on the sump very strong just take them off before draining.when i rebuilt the beams engine i left them on and was amazed at the amount of shit they catch

....Now I can't remember what size the 3SGTE sump plug was?

According to the MD website, and most of the ebay listings, M12 x 1.25 http://shop.motorsport-developments.co.uk/engine-products-237-c.asp

been using the magnets out of dud harddrives on the sump....

Sorry, you've lost me there!?!

been using the magnets out of dud harddrives on the sump very strong just take them off before draining.when i rebuilt the beams engine i left them on and was amazed at the amount of shit they catch

Where would you put the magnet so that you can get the crap out too?

I wouldn't think that you can simply attach it to the sum cos then you'll have to remove the sump to scrape the crap out each time?

Maybe at the end of the oil filter?

PC hard drives contain very strong magnets fixing peoples PCs I end up with dud ones...remone the magnet when changing oil the crap flows out with oil...the idea is to trap the swarf when the engine is running....yes on the filter would work but it's a hell of a flow through there

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.