Car park damage rant and advice please

This morning I noticed some damage to my front bumper which was probably caused last night in a pub car park. I'm usually quite careful and try to park where there's plenty of space but the car park was busy and there wasn't much room.

be487e7c43684fbc1ed832fd0c2fdb15_zpsb9af04d9.jpg

Looks like someone has reversed into it and kindly buggered off without leaving a note or any details. It really winds me up. My gf bought a brand new car last year and since that a rear door has been keyed and the other week someone backed into the the door on the other side causing a scuff and a slight crease. The person who did it was driving a huge 4x4 and didn't even notice!

Bloody people, learn to drive for gods sake!

Anyway, I'm not one to obsess about the bodywork on my car. I like it to be clean and tidy and in good shape but at the end of the day it's ten years old and you have to expect a few marks here and there. The bumper is very slightly cracked but hasn't lost any shape. I don't think it's worth spraying or replacing but I just wondered if anyone can recommend a product which might hide those nasty little hairline scratches? They only show up when the light catches it but if I can tidy them up a bit it would be great.

looks like the plastic's been bent slightly from a gentle knock.

there's a chance they might not even have noticed bumping into you if they had a big enough car :(

hopefully it could be touched up carefully and polished to make it less obvious.

you'll always know it's there though :(

You might be able to make it a little less obviously but looks like the plastic has cracked a bit to me - You would be better getting it repaired and resprayed but somethings colour matching can be a PITA :(

People should learn to be more careful!!!!

The annoying thing is my mate parked in what wasn't even a space and so was blocking someone in. They came and asked him to move his car so they could get out. Mine wasn't blocking anyone but I was the one who got hit!

So.....a couple more quick questions.

I did wonder how it would have scratched in that way. Looking a bit closer it's definitely the effect of the plastic flexing like ams said. I assume this means the cracking goes right through and no amount of buffing is going to get it out?

So the only options really are to have it resprayed which could be a waste of money as the colour is hard to match or get a new bumper?

Ams.....do you want to add a thunder grey bumper to my wish list as well as a spoiler hehe??

that is Lacquer cracking, no need to replace bumper that can be repaired and painted, you may even be possible to flat that down its only surface marked not all the way in, dont panic.

a good local body shop will be able to help you the paint code for the celica is in the engine bay, its a very easy colour to match, and that can be blended if needed to keep costs down is it the front or rear sorry just cant tell from picture. if front the angles are easy to blend it out without seeing the paint change.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.