Car Side Protection

GT Bob

Following on from my comments i made in Gen 7 forum about protecting your bodyside paintwork. Has anybody thought about these magnetic signs you can fit to the side of your car,usually advertising something. I was wondering if you could buy these either clear or colour coded to your car to offer some form of protection when parked up either long term at an airport car park or short term at work. I know you can buy them in plain white so would you be able to spray on top of these to match your car? There is the hassle of putting them on and taking them off every time but anything is better than scuff marks and dinks in your prized paint work.

Any thoughts?

ive heard about them taking the lacquer off if left on for a long time, so i wouldnt use one :(

Yes i was thinking that as well,maybe something with a felt backing with the magnet inside?

Mine would only be used in the works cark park etc,they would not be on all the time so would this be okay ?

Edited by GT Bob

Could be a good idea.

The only concern i would have is if you use them on a dirty or dusty car,

any slight slide could cause scratching that your trying to stop happening

Yes obviously you would have to be careful when attaching them but i suppose any surface scratch could easily be polished out it that were the case ? I am only talking 4" strips along the centre of your bodywork that sticks out the most so we are olny talking a small area. :)

I doubt theyre gona stop a door putting a dent on the side of your car.

I now refuse to park in busy supermarkets.

I wasn't talking dents,just scrapes and scuffs. My front end is wrapped in paint shield but it won't stop a rock punching a hole in the bonnet,i may even consider getting the rest of the car wrapped,it's a clear film so you hardly notice its there :)

Im looking into havin the doors and front end wraped in the clear armour coating vinyl projects chip and dings and comes with a 8 year warrentte its pricey but well worth the money and ull only end up spending that money on scuff repair in the future

See this is what I hate about having a new car, them first few scratches /dents hurt you, when you have had the car a while, I think you enjoy the car more as you dont worry about it so much

Now I admit I am a little strange here, I had a brand new 140 back in 2001 and I would park it in the streets of Bradford or Leeds whilst going out on a bender and not worry about leaving it overnight, then the next evening I would go and pick it up.

Now I have a 12 year old 140 and I take more care where I park it, and park the furthest away in a supermarket car park as poss.

I have washed it more times too and the first one I owned was black.

dunno if its any use but i make up magnetic backed stickers for when on track. could easily make what you describe with that perhaps.

Most of the logos are vinyl so would normally use the colour of the paint as a background- so i buy a similar colour vinyl and cover the magnetic backing in that first before the logo goes on. It's not a prefect match but OK from a distance.

just a thought, not sure if its any use for this application. the stickers in this pic are all magnetic inc the door squares. the javelin, fensport and toyota ones are done using just normal silver vinyl

IMG_7105.jpg

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.