Love vs Hate

TRD2008

Hydrogas is applicable on early cars, replaced in 2002 by conventional suspension (see Plancs posting) rust IS a problem (I've welded loads of'em) but better on later cars. Head gaskets only excusable after high mileage, 60000 miles and often less is a bit much - we were replacing averaging two K series head gaskets a week - every week for years.

Funny how Lotus stopped using these engines in the Elise and then started using Toyotas. In defence of the MGF it is a great car to drive on sunny days with the roof down but other cars do it better.

Edited by foxxy

Hydrogas IS applicable, replaced in 2002 by conventional suspension (see Plancs posting) rust IS a problem (I've welded loads of'em) but better on later cars. Head gaskets only excusable after high mileage, 60000 miles and often less is a bit much - we were replacing averaging two K series head gaskets a week - every week for years.

Funny how Lotus stopped using these engines in the Elise and then started using Toyotas

For some reason you're including the MGF, which I'm not. Many MGF's will need welding by now, as some are approaching 20 years old. No TF's had Hydrogas fitted. Most TF's have had the necessary upgrades fitted by now (MLS HG and S/S under floor coolant pipes). December edition of Autocar recommends the TF as THE Winter bargain for anyone with £2K, and underneath the article, the Gen 7 gets a mention as another car worth considering in that price bracket.

Yup, you're right about that only the early MGFs had Hydrogas, I was forgetting, I've still got a lot of spares for a TF including brand new cooling pipes should you be interested - no good to me any more.

Yup, you're right about that only the early MGFs had Hydrogas, I was forgetting, I've still got a lot of spares for a TF including brand new cooling pipes should you be interested - no good to me any more.

Thanks for the offer, now have the S/S pipes, but very much appreciated nonetheless :)

An old friend of mine, now retired from the Derby MG/Rover Main Dealer, replaced the HG with the MLS, M/S Coolant Pipes with S/S, Water Pump, Cam Belt, Alt. Belt, Coolant, and Brake Fluid just after buying the car in 2010. The TF belongs to the other 'arf, so everything was done as preventative maintenance. Since then the only component to fail, has been the Alternator (£85 plus fitting for a Bosch unit). After buying the new Alternator, out of interest, I checked out the price for one for a Gen 7 from EuroCarParts, and nearly fell off my chair..£200+ :o

Jap cars are great until they go wrong, and then it seems to be "rape wallet" time.

we were replacing averaging two K series head gaskets a week - every week for years.

yep in the 90s my dad was doing 2-3 k-series head gaskets a week - it was great for business, that and the big rear arm bushes

out of interest, I checked out the price for one for a Gen 7 from EuroCarParts, and nearly fell off my chair..£200+ :o

gen7 ones hardly ever go mate - I have loads on the shelf - 140 ones I have up for sale for £14 plus post because I have so many of them!

Foxxy I don;t totally agree one of my old cars was a Rover 220 turbo tomcat, not a car to be taken lightly. 0-62 in 6.2 (standard), that's without mapping or uprating the turbo or anything, I absolutely loved it!!

It had an uprated quad layer head gasket and had no issues whatsoever, it was a real powerhouse of a vehicle and was so damn reliable, and gearbox that I can firmly say puts the celica to shame (my biggest dislike in the celica), not to mention parts as cheap as chips, I remember getting a calliper for £12 lol

but very very different when comparing Turbo to Lift...

Guest Ambermile

Only thing I hate is the bloody now-and-again rattle from the back - no idea at all what it is and I've taken *everything* out of the boot and it's still there... :angry:

I love everything about my Gen 7 ... apart from the ECU, its far too restrictive and fussy

Yeah it's a pain in the chuff.

I noticed mine is driving a LOT better now that I'm using it on a regular basis. When she used to sit there for a week at a time, it was like the ecu just retired into 140 mode :lol: & the low rev hesitation pissed me right off.

Yeah it's a pain in the chuff.

I noticed mine is driving a LOT better now that I'm using it on a regular basis. When she used to sit there for a week at a time, it was like the ecu just retired into 140 mode :lol: & the low rev hesitation pissed me right off.

Mine does this. I hardly use my car in the week.

Is is best to rest it and drive it hard after the reset to get it going better or does this not make any difference?

I love the fact that it cost bollocks all to buy but I still get nice comments from people who own much more expensive motors. There's just something special about the celica and at today's prices it's an absolute bargain. Love that it doesn't cost much to run either.

There's nothing really that I hate but it is still an old car so you do have to accept a few rattles here and there and budget for minor repairs now and then. Despite what others say I'm fine with the performance. When in lift it goes like stink but if you want to drive it around gently it's as easy to handle as a yaris.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.