Is there any other reason other than a dead battery why a car would need a jump?

kittii13

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you dont think its worth fully charging? cant afford a new one so i cant work for a while if charging it doesnt work :(

You coul try checking the ionised water levels if its not self maintaining and topping it up may help but ultimately a new battery is needed. I had this with mine and every morning it was hammering the starter motor to get it to turn over.

You could try battery chargers just to keep a charge running in to it but ultimately until you get a new battery it's gonna be a bit of a battle :/

Usually a dead battery is caused by the water/acid level running too low and the plates inside the cells warping and touching together allowing the anode and cathode to touch so if it is dead flat then adding water will not work...if it turns the engine but very slowly and then starts clicking rapidly then you can try topping up and charging overnight...make sure to leave the caps off the battery when charging to allow it to vent...if you are going to charge it make sure you top up the battery with DISTILLED water which you can get cheap at tescos of halfrauds :thumbs: if you dont top it up first you can risk warping plates that were good :)

does sound like battery give it a full charge cheaper chargers can cook or boil em over charges em at too high ampage best to use a smart battery charger like a ctek one i got 1 for about £40 well worth it or an oximate what bikers use to keep them charged over winter they condition the battery and can tell you if battery knackered they trickle charge slowly. hope this helps Daz

Does the starter just click, or does it turn but very slow ?

Do the dash lights go very dim when trying to start, or do they stay bright ? If they go very dim then battery voltage is dropping badly so bad battery or jammed motor (as below)

Alternators are able to supply far more current than headlights draw. They will not stop it charging.

A few possibilities:

Contacts on starter solenoid worn so it needs a good kick to make contact and turn starter. A battery that's stood is normally about 12 - 12.5V a running engine is about 14 so jump leads will give it a little extra.

Starter motor has a worn bearing causing motor to rub on stator when side load applied, thereby drawing more current.

Battery is indeed knackered, although it's very rare that they are unable to re-start a car immediately after switching off.

Out of interest, did your battery work in Daves car ?

Another possibility is a poor connection on power lead from battery to starter or especially earth lead from battery to engine. If you connected the jump lead - to engine rather than battery would have made all the difference.

Does the starter just click, or does it turn but very slow ?

Do the dash lights go very dim when trying to start, or do they stay bright ? If they go very dim then battery voltage is dropping badly so bad battery or jammed motor (as below)

Alternators are able to supply far more current than headlights draw. They will not stop it charging.

A few possibilities:

Contacts on starter solenoid worn so it needs a good kick to make contact and turn starter. A battery that's stood is normally about 12 - 12.5V a running engine is about 14 so jump leads will give it a little extra.

Starter motor has a worn bearing causing motor to rub on stator when side load applied, thereby drawing more current.

Battery is indeed knackered, although it's very rare that they are unable to re-start a car immediately after switching off.

Out of interest, did your battery work in Daves car ?

Another possibility is a poor connection on power lead from battery to starter or especially earth lead from battery to engine. If you connected the jump lead - to engine rather than battery would have made all the difference.

the starter just clicks when i try to start it

the dash lights stay bright

didnt try either of my batteries in daves car, will get him to do that today

we also did the whole bashing the starter motor thing and that did nothing

multimeter reading of battery while running is 14.2v, alternator very similar

ok we have progress but its weird

first tried starting my car with my battery, no luck

switched batteries round, daves in mine, mine in daves.

daves in mine started first time and is running at 14.2v

mine in daves was slightly hesitant but did start first time and is running at 12.4v

is it possible that daves car (rev3 engine) needs less power to start up than mine?

Stick the battery on charge overnight, I don't see what the problem with this is? Cold weather + one hour charge on alternator isn't gonna do what it needs to. Needs to be on overnight and maybe you'll get some life out of it.

Was Daves engine warm?

no, not ran it since yesterday

ok the plot thickens. we put my old battery, the one the AA guy said was completely dead into daves car and it started first time and is running at 14.2v

dave is going to check the earths, we know of 2, on top of the gear box and near the headlights. are there anymore on a gen 5?

Stick the battery on charge overnight, I don't see what the problem with this is? Cold weather + one hour charge on alternator isn't gonna do what it needs to. Needs to be on overnight and maybe you'll get some life out of it.

the problem is that our 3 batteries all work in daves car including the one the AA guy declared as dead and the only battery that seems to work in mine is daves. its clearly not a battery problem

Best bet is to charge the battery overnight and take it somewhere like Kwik Fit for a free battery discharge test, I wouldn't normally recommend them but they can't really screw that up, this will conclusively tell you if the battery is goosed or not

I think it is a Battery issue...IMO...

If it was an earth issue?why would Daves Battery work in your car?

hes says incase he accidently disturbed something while changing it. my "dead" battery is working fine in his car so we're very confused

Best bet is to charge the battery overnight and take it somewhere like Kwik Fit for a free battery discharge test, I wouldn't normally recommend them but they can't really screw that up, this will conclusively tell you if the battery is goosed or not

and sell you a set of shocks at the same time :xmas_laugh:

the problem is that our 3 batteries all work in daves car including the one the AA guy declared as dead and the only battery that seems to work in mine is daves. its clearly not a battery problem

Why not put Daves in your car, the old declared dead one from your car in his and the one from the neighbour on charge?

That'll last you a day atleast and you can find out if the neighbour has given you a dud or not.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.