Is there any other reason other than a dead battery why a car would need a jump?

kittii13

Hi guys and gals. Like the title says, other than a dead battery is there any other reason why a car would need a jump?

Yesterday my car wouldnt start, lights work, everything and it clicks when I try and start it. Called out the AA and he said the battery charges but doesnt hold charge and I need a new battery. So we got another battery, tried that and that didnt work either but it did when we jumped it off Dave's car. We kept it running and driving for over an hour, went shopping and when we got back to the car it wouldnt start again. Luckily a passer by offered us a jump.

So what Im asking is do we need another battery (the one we got was second hand but the guy said it worked fine) or is there something else wrong with it. It doesnt appear to be the alternator, that's giving out the right voltage, as is the battery.

The AA guy did say there was a short in it and it could cut out if I went over a bump but he didnt say where and when I questioned him he was convinced a new battery would sort the problem, which it didnt

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

was the other batt you fitted fully charged??try giving it a charge maybe..

no the other battery we fitted was dead but we did charge it for over an hour by driving it

Taking a stab here but if there's a short then whether it a new battery or not a short will drain it surely?

the AA guy said that a new battery would fix it. I said to him if its got a short then surely itl need new wires and he still said just the battery. Any way of finding exactly where the short is?

that wouldn't be enough IMO...not if it was dead to start with..i would give it a good charge..

how long for? after we jumped it in tesco, i tried starting it again when we got home straight away and it didnt work. This sucks

try taking the battery off daves and see it the same thing happens if not then you know its just the battery simply :xmas_biggrin: :xmas_wink:

great minds devious lmao

yeah we did, his battery started first time in mine which is why we think it is the battery. didnt try mine in his though. daves convinced our battery charger doesnt work

yeah we did, his battery started first time in mine which is why we think it is the battery. didnt try mine in his though. daves convinced our battery charger doesnt work

So it's a battery issue then :thumbs: get it charged properly or get a new battery..

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.